Six people killed by Truck in Chattanooga TN.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Air Breeze, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I just read that the man driving the truck that caused this accident was involved in another accident the day before near WILDWOOD FL, that caused $6000 worth of damage, and he was issued a ticket for Careless Driving. He also has an outstanding Bench Warrant for his arrest from 2013 for Failure To Appear in Court for a prescription drug charge in JANESVILLE WI, He is a driver for COOL RUNNINGS EXPRESS, a small company out of LONDON KY, Maybe they should change the.name of that company to " FOOL RUNNING EXPRESS". I think they will be out of business soon for hiring this fool.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Yeaaaaahhhhhhhh, he's pretty much screwed, he's going to need a really good lawyer so he could maybe see the outside of a prison before he dies.

Air Breeze Thanks this.
  4. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    The local news in Chattanooga reports the driver Ben Brewer just started driving for this company
    COOL RUNNINGS EXPRESS three days before the fatal accident. He was on his first run for
    them. He was supposed to take a drug and alcohol screen after the first accident he was involved
    in the day before near Wildwood Fl, Looks like this company is a fly by night outfit. They obviously
    did not do a through back investigation on this guy before they hired him. They also violated DOT
    regulations when they let him continue to drive after his first accident without giving him a drug and
    alcohol test and getting the results back. Whoever owns this company is probably guilty of gross
    negligence and may be looking at some jail time themselves.

5. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    All I'm going to say is, happy 4th. Enjoy your time off with family, if you got any. If you're out there today, god bless you. Be safe.

See you out there on the road.
    Stay safe!

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    IIRC, a drug/alcohol screen following an incident is only mandatory (DOT) if there is a fatality, or at carrier or law enforcement discretion.

7. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    The FMCSA regulations require mandatory testing for a Human Fatality, Bodily Injury with immediate medical
    treatment away from the scene of the accident or, Disabling damage to any vehicle requiring tow away. Or if the driver receives a traffic citation within 8 hours of the occurrence. Per the
    FMCSA Safety Regulations Handbook. This is on page, 244 and 245 regulation NO# 382.303 A@B. That's the little Green Handbook that your companies safety department makes you sign
    and they countersign and are required to keep when they hire you. By law the driver is required to familiarize themselves with. The driver is suppose to familiarize themselves with parts, 40, 380, 382, 383, 387, 390 to 397, 399, Subchapter B, chapter 3 Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, as contained therein.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  8. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    The driver that caused this accident was indicted by a Grand Jury yesterday for 6 counts of vehicular homicide. He was also indicted for 4 counts of reckless aggravated assault, SUI first offense by impairment of narcotics. Speeding, and false reports of duty status. He was on duty for 50 consecutive hours before the accident. The family of four of the people killed in the accident have filed a 10 million dollar lawsuit against the drivers employer
    COOL RUNNINGS EXPRESS of Corbin KY,

tucker Thanks this.
  9. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Geez... What a...

Thanks for the update. Prayers are still with the family on this.

flood Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm not sure how true this statement is but let's consider for a moment if it is true. What dispatcher somewhere does not see this as some sort of problem and allows that driver to continue? They weren't aware? What dispatcher somewhere is not aware of the operation and production of a piece of their equipment?

I'm assuming this driver was a solo driver, and the on duty time was most likely all driving ... how does one not see a problem when the daily fuel report email comes back with a solo driver burning that much fuel in a 36-48 hour time frame ... like a team truck would burn?

If this is remotely true, I'd like to see the party responsible for dispatching that truck/driver hang from the same tree as the driver.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  11. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    From what I have read this driver had only been driving for this company for 3 days. He had an accident in
    Florida the day before this fatal accident he caused in Chattanooga. He had a bench warrant for his arrest
    for narcotics charges from Rockford IL. since 2013. The company he was driving for is a small outfit with
    only 10 trucks. It is obvious that they did not do a very thorough background check on him before they hired
    him to drive one of their trucks. They also don't seem to monitor what their drivers are doing when they are
    on the road driving. I would bet the owner of this company and anyone associated with hiring this fool are
    very likely to be charged as accessories to the same crimes the driver is charged with. I don't think the people
    who hired this guy are going to get away with just paying some fines.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Vilhiem Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.