Sleep apnea ?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by tazman74, Jul 8, 2015.

1. tazman74

tazman74 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Albert Lea, Mn
    Here's the deal I got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea back in January, well o have been using the cpap daily all night but just lately I have been tired a lot more and dizzy sometimes. I know you are not DRs but just wondering if anyone has ideas? I do have a DRs appt when I get home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lunchbox666

Lunchbox666 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2015
    You may need to turn your machine up.
    You need special directions how to do it because it's in a hidden menu on your machine .
    If your machine is like mine I could tell you how to do it. It is simple.
    I adjust mine myself , at my heaviest I had to turn it up to 17

Texnmidwest Thanks this.
  4. Lunchbox666

Lunchbox666 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2015
    You may need to turn your machine up.
    You need special directions how to do it because it's in a hidden menu on your machine .
    If your machine is like mine I could tell you how to do it. It is simple.
    I adjust mine myself , at my heaviest I had to turn it up to 17

tazman74 Thanks this.
  5. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    When I was still in the beginning stages I was told how to turn it up.

Press and hold the one button on the machine. Can't remember if it beeps or flashes... I think they lock it after a while though, I tried it the other day out of curiousity and it didn't work.

I get dizziness occasionally as well, let me know what you find out?

tazman74 Thanks this.
  6. DocMarten

DocMarten Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2015
    What kind of mask are you using? If you're a mouth breather, and aren't using one that covers your mouth, that could cause it - machine won't work in that case.

7. TexasRoseKatyTX

TexasRoseKatyTX Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Texas
    I agree with DOcmartin, you may need a full face mask, covers nose and mouth. Also you might ask about a autopap instead a cpap. from what I was told, the auto will automatically adjust to the pressure you need. Even if you have had a night with a few drinks. (obviously not when you are out on the road driving)

DocMarten Thanks this.
  8. 15RoadGlide

15RoadGlide Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2015
    I posted this under another Sleep Apnea post a few minutes ago, but I'll toss it here also. Hope it helps.

"Alright, I know its an old message, but this is somewhat what I deal with, since I am in the medical profession (Respiratory Care Practitioner) and also deal with apnea stuff and pulmonary function tests etc....I didn't have time to go thru the whole thread, so I apologize if this info is redundant.

First, I am NOT a doctor. NOT NOT NOT.
    Take my advice merely as that. Advice.

As far as CPAP machines go, some people, me being one of them, still did not get any real relief while being on it. I then switched over to a BiPap machine, and it made a world of difference.

The difference between CPAP and BiPap is that there is ONE pressure setting for CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure). BiPap (Bi Level Positive Airway Pressure) has TWO pressure levels- one when you breathe in, one when you exhale. Usually, a lower pressure when you exhale makes it easier. When I had CPAP, I liked the high pressure going in, but that same high pressure when I exhaled would disturb me, and I was not getting a sound sleep.

I hated my CPAP machine. Couldn't keep it on more than a few hours, if that. I ended up throwing it in my closet and its been there for 5 years. This year I finally got off my ### because I was sick of being tired all the time and got my doc to give me a BiPap. Yes, I had to do another sleep study. Yes, I do this for a living. Yes, I waited 5 years to change. Stupid me. Swapping over to the BiPap has made a 100% difference. I sleep so much better now, and people actually say I'm nice. LOL

If in fact you find yourself having this problem still, I would most certainly ask your doctor about switching to a BiPap. If you have any questions, please feel free to inbox me and I will answer the best I can."

9. 15RoadGlide

15RoadGlide Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Also, not knowing your diagnosis/ settings/ info, some people are right. If you are a bigger guy, you may very well need more pressure. I don't know what machine you are using, but when I was on a CPAP my pressure was 14 then 18. I'm 6'4" and 300lbs.

Like I said above, my body just didn't like that pressure to exhale against, so I ended up not sleeping well on the CPAP.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.