slow to start when cranking

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by lady doe, May 13, 2015.

1. lady doe

lady doe Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    just bought two new batteries about 4 months ago. but know its slow to start. if it set over night it cranks pretty go. but later on during the day if I stop for break or to eat for an hour maybe it really have a hard time starting up. do that sound like a battery going bad or what. please help. you guys has always gave me good sound help in the past. not one time have I got bad advise. thanks lady doe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    How many batt. does truck have,ck. old ones 1st with batt. load ck. tool then replace bad batt.

4. lady doe

May 25, 2014
    I have four batteries. so your batteries just don't go out all at once. do you think mine is giving me a warning

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I always replace all four at the same time. It is possible that the two you didn't replace are getting ready to bite the dust.

TGUNKEL and lady doe Thank this.
  6. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Yep, four at a time. One bad battery will tank the other three. I'd recommend east penn dekas.

TGUNKEL, rollin coal and lady doe Thank this.
  7. lady doe

May 25, 2014
    THANKS GUYS YOU ARE THE BEST! HAVE A GREAT DAY LADY DOE OVER AND OUT

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah one older bad battery will ruin 3 other brand new ones in short order. Always replace all 4 at a time or you will be buying batteries every few months.

lady doe and icsheeple Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah late to the game I know lol

icsheeple Thanks this.
  10. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Providing a consensus to always buy four at a time.

When I bought mine the guy gave me a one year warranty. Then an additional year pro rated. I'll take the truck back to him in 11 months from purchase so he can test all four. I'd have no problem replacing one bad battery if it's bad and under warranty to get my money's worth. The other 3 batteries at say 80-90% would quickly bring the new one to their range, and hopefully provide me 3-5 good years of service.

A tip for those that like to "cheat the system" a bit. Usually places aren't going to warranty past a year in a commercial application. I of course figured this out after the fact.

I'd recommend going to two different stores and buying a pair at each store. They will assume when you say they are for your truck you just a have a big diesel pickup with 2 batteries total. If you need to replace 2 1/2 years down the road, you should still be under that 3 year warranty normally offered on batteries. Just a tip I'm going to throw out there.

11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Keep accessories usage to a minimum or even zero without the truck running. Keep the battery box and batteries clean and make sure are the connections are clean and tight. They will last 4 or 5 years like that.

A battery salesman also told me people farther north in colder climes get longer battery life than people further south in harsher heat. You would think the exact opposite that cold kills or shortens battery life but he said industry data proved otherwise. Places like AZ have shorter battery life than MI.

truckon and icsheeple Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.