slow to start when cranking

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by lady doe, May 13, 2015.

1. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Well I'm not just going to sit there in the dark worrying about $375 worth of batteries. I could replace batteries every year and I'd never even notice it on my bottom line. I am really hard on my batteries, because I have yet to get a generator. I have my cooler, fans, lights, laptop, ipad, etc..... all going until I pass out. I got one of the cigarette lighter volt meters and just peek at it when I remember and before I go to bed.

You just have to be conscious of your batteries. When I installed mine I cleaned everything real good with a wire brush. Then I used that red anti corrosion stuff. Which I didn't know came in a spray can. Way better than smearing grease around. Also, pull your cover and inspect periodically and at least once a year have your batteries tested.

I found a battery wholesaler in town with East Penn Dekas for $90 a piece, and sometimes they are cheaper on sale. I told him to call me when he get's the blemished pallets in, which he said was rare. But, $40 bucks a piece for brand new group 31 batteries with cosmetic blemishes??? Sign me UP!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lady doe

lady doe Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    CAN 2 BAD BATTERIES MESS UP YOUR SOLENOID?

4. lady doe

May 25, 2014
    COULD IT BE THAT MY 2 BAD BATTERIES PULLED IT DOWN IN SOME WAY OR IT JUST WENT TO THE BAD TOO. I TAPPED ON IT AFTER I GOT TWO NEW BATTERIES, AND IT STARTED. HAVE NOT TURN OFF TRUCK DONT KNOW IF IT WILL START BACK OR NOT. CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME PLEASE

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Doe: The number one killer of starters and solenoids is weak batteries and or poor connections between batteries and solenoid. In the case of the solenoid, in paticular, it is operated by an electro magnet. Thank of it as a doctor using paddles to a heart patient. If solid contact is not made an arc can be made between the two surfaces. In the case of a solenoid it can cause them to weld together and not release or make a bad contact area that will not work the next time. If your trucks manual, shut it off on a hill to test it so you can roll start it if needed. Look for a good basic electrical tech to check it out, no the scanner will not work for this and most are lost on this today.

lady doe Thanks this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    After checking batteries and for loose or warm cable ends do voltage drop tests before condemning the starter or solenoid. You can probably get a self education by googling how to voltage drop test. If tests are not done replacing parts is shooting in the dark.

lady doe Thanks this.
  7. lady doe

May 25, 2014
    THANKS A MILLION. I TURNED THE SWITCH OFF YESTERDAY JUST TO SEE IF IT WOULD START. IT WOULD NOT MAKE A SOUND. SO TAPPED SOLENOID AND IT KIND OF SLOW BUT IT TURNED AND GOT BACK ON THE ROAD. HEADING IN TO GET IT FIX. AND AGAIN YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.