Small carrier: How to get a direct customer & skip the broker.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Flipflops, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    At first yes, I'd like to have something lined up before throwing my money to the banks lol.

This is why you want those good truckers that you know too in case you get an opportunity but don't have equipment-- honestly you make the same money with owner ops as you do with drivers.

If you plan on local, try to establish yourself a bit and for local guys (company) try to get LTL gigs. Not sure how they are in Canada but in USA local LTL gigs are good.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue and the Gray

Blue and the Gray Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Rolling Coal....Hadn't heard from you in awhile. Give me a shout. My number is still the same....well my personal phone is anyway. this is George West. You still at F2F?

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's been a while. Yep still leased with them.

5. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area
    Just wanted to watch thread.

6. The Boss Lady

The Boss Lady Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Awesome! Thank you!

7. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Flipflops got banned some time ago guys...

8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Sorry to hear Flipflops is no longer among us.

Having spent a few decades in sales, importing, and manufacturing, I think the advice contained in this thread is spot on. Plan out your presentation and have marketing materials prepared before setting foot in a customer's door. Having a good website is an essential tool.

One technique I used for finding new customers, saving the time and cost of driving around, is the search feature on Google Maps. Let's say you are delivering a flatbed load town X next Wednesday and your trailer and equipment is set up well to handle a particular catagory of freight, like pipe. Use Google Maps and search for "pipe" or similar search terms. Icons pop up with locations, you can see the customer's yard and setup, drill through to their website (and find out if they are independent or part of a much larger operation) and make a phone call, maybe set up an appointment.

Using the techniques in this thread go beyond using that 50 mile radius for your home base customers. Search for backhaul opportunities as well. Google Maps can be a goldmine of information and reduce time finding your prospects. It's better to walk in that first time already armed with knowledge about their operation.

RStewart Thanks this.
  9. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Couldn't have been that long ago I just talked to him few weeks ago. Was he trying to sell things on here or recruit? Other then those types of things their usually pretty cool?

10. mchlshltz

mchlshltz Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Flipflps and everyone that has been adding to this post

First off, I love the postings that you guys have been putting up on here. Very informative and insightful. We have started to look for direct shippers and this information is something that will greatly help us look for direct working relationships.

Take care everyone

Mike

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  11. Rares

Rares Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    Thank you for the advice

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.