Smartphone, tablet logging apps no longer require printing or manual signatures

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Mark Kling, Jul 10, 2014.

1. JahB

JahB Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2008
    WASHINGTON/OREGON border
    I was able to email mine directly to the inspector's email address in Oregon. No problem, no request to do otherwise. Your mileage may vary. I think it depends on the inspector, and that people need to get off their high regulatory horses about it, and just suggest that transferring them to paper logs daily and/or getting a printer would be wiser than relying on a given inspector to meet whatever regulation or expectation there may be. There's no absolute anything about it......yet.

I love how people want to know #### for other people. Opinions are like ########....everyone has one....but reality is reality. Try it. You'll like it.

snowwy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    I know this is an old thread, but since it was a top hit for a search on logging apps, I will share this link.
    I know it is from a vendor, but they seem to have a pretty good grasp of the law, and it does look like you should have a printer with you, although many places would accept electronic copies.
    And they have links to everything too.

https://www.bigroad.com/inspection

4. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Ran into this today in NY. Currently on my last hour of 10 OOS because apparently the absence of a printer is a huge safety concern. I run logs on my phone and have been through multiple inspections in multiple states with no issue. Not so today. The inspector was kind enough to print off some blank paper logs (but wouldn't print mine) though I have yet to figure out what magically changes between my phone screen and a piece of paper. Or what purpose the other 9 and a half hours serves after I fill out the paper logs, since I'm compliant after that first 30 minutes.

My solution? I'm buying a mobile receipt printer. Or a regular printer and I'll print out screenshots in actual size, seeing as there's no regs on logbook size. They wanna be a phallus over some bs, I'll be one right back. Especially when the FMCSA site says this about ELDs..

Screenshot_20161026-161157.jpg

So they can get by with "the actual ELD display" but I can't get by with "the actual phone display". F em.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  5. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA

It does kind of suck...
    I am sorry you had to experience this.

The issue is that the logging app on your phone is *allowed* to be used under the paper log rules, but it is a marginal allowance, in other words, the rules don't specially permit it, but they gave Guidance that as long as the specific requirements were met, you could do it electronically or on paper. But one of the specific requirements is the ability for You to provide a paper copy when requested.
    This is why logbooks have carbon copies.

It then is up to the officer to decide whether to enforce the actual rule, or allow you to get it to him in a different way.
    He sounds like he was being pissy, but he also was enforcing the rules as they stand.

The ELD system is a different rule, and that rule includes the option to transmit it electronically, and while the device may appear the same to you, it falls under a different rule.

I wish they had modified the rules to allow electronic transmission of an eLog, but I suspect they wanted to encourage people to go straight to ELD instead. So, go to ELD, get a printer, or go back to paper logs. (And at least carry a paper logbook with you, you need one anyway if the electronic one fails.)

I suspect he did the 10 hour OOS because he decided that you didn't have legal logs for the last week, so he assumes that you have no hours left, so toss you on an enforced 10, and then you are good to go.

6. Chasingthesky

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Oh, I'm well aware of the regulations concerning this. We went round and round over the "If" in "If an officer requests" in the guidance since that leaves it up to the officers discretion and he kept saying "well, why wouldn't I ask for paper". Counterpoint, why would you? Hence the snarky comment about something magically changing between the two mediums. Then we went round and round about being put OOS for no logs since I HAVE logs, the point of contention is the ability to print them. He agreed the wording was bad but that didnt change the outcome and i tend to agree with you, its definately a push toward full blown ELDs. Ain't gonna happen for me though.

Ke6gwf Thanks this.
  7. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Hmm I need to look at the wording, but I wonder if when it says you have to be given the opportunity to print them, if that can be understood in the same meaning of the word as in "print name and sign"

Now, whether you could convince them of that I don't know lol
    You just tell them you have to get set up to print, and then go back into the sleeper and start writing!

Chasingthesky Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Here is the guidance from https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/395.8

Question 28: May a driver use a computer, tablet, or smartphone (that is not an Automatic On-Board Recording Device) to create, electronically sign, and store the record of duty status (RODS)?

Guidance:

Yes. A driver may make manual duty-status entries to a computer, tablet, or smartphone program that is used to generate the graph grid and entries for the record of duty status (RODS) or log book, provided the electronically-generated display (if any) and output includes the minimum information required by §395.8 and is formatted in accordance with that section. The driver must sign the RODS (manually or electronically) at the end of each 24-hour period to certify that all required entries are true and correct.

1. If electronic signatures are not used:
    • The driver must print and manually sign the RODS daily.
    • The driver must have in his or her possession the printed and signed RODS for the prior seven consecutive days (if required on those days).
    • The driver should be given an opportunity to print and manually sign the current day’s RODS at the time of the inspection.
    1. If RODS have been electronically signed:
    • At the time of an inspection of records by an enforcement official, the driver may display the current and prior seven days RODS to the official on the device’s screen.
    • If the enforcement official requests printed copies of the RODS, the driver must be given an opportunity to print the current and prior seven days RODS (if required on those days) at the time of inspection.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    One statement says the driver must be given the opportunity to print.

Seems like most of you have no desire to carry a printer.

Regardless of what the rules say..no printer. Plan on a 10 and a oos on your csa.

Nevada wants printouts also.

Ke6gwf Thanks this.
  10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You are not on an ELD, but a ROD. You did not mention if you used an Electronic Signature or not.

If no - then yes you must print and sign daily

If yes - the Enforcement Officer can request copies and the driver must be given the opportunity to print.

So the LEO was well within their rights to request a hard copy of your logs per current FMCSA requirements.

Yes. A driver may make manual duty-status entries to a computer, tablet, or smartphone program that is used to generate the graph grid and entries for the record of duty status (RODS) or log book, provided the electronically-generated display (if any) and output includes the minimum information required by §395.8 and is formatted in accordance with that section. The driver must sign the RODS (manually or electronically) at the end of each 24-hour period to certify that all required entries are true and correct.

1. If electronic signatures are not used:
    • The driver must print and manually sign the RODS daily.
    • The driver must have in his or her possession the printed and signed RODS for the prior seven consecutive days (if required on those days).
    • The driver should be given an opportunity to print and manually sign the current day’s RODS at the time of the inspection.
    1. If RODS have been electronically signed:
    • At the time of an inspection of records by an enforcement official, the driver may display the current and prior seven days RODS to the official on the device’s screen.
    • If the enforcement official requests printed copies of the RODS, the driver must be given an opportunity to print the current and prior seven days RODS (if required on those days) at the time of inspection.

11. Chasingthesky

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I use electronic signature and yes, I am quite familiar with the rules and guidance. And yes, an officer CAN request paper copies, but why would they? I'm using a phone because its easy and convenient, carrying around a bulky printer defeats that purpose. What's the point? Are my logs somehow different when they're on paper? It doesn't matter if my logs are on a phone, on paper or if they want to project them on the side of a building ten feet tall. I still have all the same starts, stops and number of hours left no matter what you do. The ability to print doesn't affect anything in any way. That's like trying to say there's a difference between $20 on a debit card and a paper $20. Its exactly the same amount of money.

You know what they didn't check? My brakes. They're fine because I maintain my truck but that's an actual safety issue. Since they're not required on a level 2 however, they didn't even look. Lack of a printer though is worth ten hours. Go figure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.