Snowbird season has started early this year!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by fortycalglock, Oct 2, 2015.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I guess the hurricane scared 'em. They are thick on 95 today.

CasanovaCruiser and HorseShoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Dont tell me that . The weather has not even cooled off here yet and now the chaos begins?

4. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Last I heard it was tracking eastward and away from most of the population. A cursory search says its stalled over the Bahamas. I've never been in a hurricane, but do folks just drop and run when one is coming ???

unloader

5. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    lol depends on where they are and how many they've been through. I know NC started evacuating the outer banks region yesterday.

Current track puts it farther east maybe just a glancing blow and a ton of east coast rain but they won't know till it almost gets here where it's actually going.

I was up around Richmond when sandy came through and glanced up the coast there. Empty in 50-60 sustained gusting 70+ and blinding sheets of rain coming up 95 to 295 into Richmond to pick up. Wasn't fun. I wouldn't want to try anything more than that and couldn't get under my load and out of there fast enough.

Mudguppy and Big Don Thank this.
  6. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I was spending the night in Truck #235 at the Volvo shop in Buffalo, NY when the remnants of Sandy passed over.

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Not really. Only the ones with a slight modicum of intelligence do. The others have "hurricane parties" and just ride it out. OR NOT.
    (Not the voice of experience on this, I've never been in a hurricane either. But I do live in a TOWN called Hurricane, if that helps.):p :D (Oh yeah, I've read a book or two as well. . .);)

8. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Typhon's are more fun when you are on a island.

9. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Meh. Mostly folks who have never been through one, those who get freaked out by all the "Oh NOES, a HUGE< DANGEROUS STORM is coming" newscasts, and those who live in especially vulnerable areas. I've lived in FL mostly my whole life, and been through so many (most notably Andrew down near Miami in '92 I believe) that they aren't anything to wad my panties up.....

I was working at a debris removal company that had a an emergency assistance agreement with a NY company at the time, who had the contract to respond to the borough of Queens in such an event. I was actually on the road rolling into Princeton NJ as the storm was at it's peak (around 9:30- 10:00pm IIRC). I was driving a POS sterling knuckle-boom crane truck with a 40-yard can, and pulling another 40 yard pup trailer almost identical to this one-

[​IMG]

With both of those cans empty, it was like being in a sailboat in 70+ mph winds going up the Jersey Turnpike!

Never do that again........

bandit74 Thanks this.
  10. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Rv's and trailer parks don't ride hurricanes out very well, so I can understand why they would get out of the storms projected path. Considering they were already in SC and GA, they left when the storm was projected to wipe out the northeast.
    I'm a FL guy and have ridden out quite a few hurricanes, including several in the truck. I drive through Sandy in NC, delivered my generators in Mass and the rode out what was left at the Maybrook TA. I'll ride out a cat 1 in the truck. Cat 2 at the house partying with neighbors and copious amounts of rum. Cat 3 plus direct hit and I'm out. If I had a new Miami-Dade code home, I'd ride out a 3, but I don't. The first storm I remember was David in 79.

ETA: I called this storm not hitting and going out to sea Thursday morning. I love to haul hurricane loads, but booked a load to TX for next week last Thursday afternoon when the forecasters were warning of a NJ/NY hit.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    So if it is snowbird season, we can shoot them, right?:D

fortycalglock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.