So Far What I've Learned In This Part Of The Industry Is...

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Voodoo Pyg, Nov 25, 2015.

Was this helpful?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Somewhat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Voodoo Pyg

Voodoo Pyg Oink! Oink!

Jan 25, 2015
    Texas
    Hello again my fellow truckers on this highway known only as Truckers Report. Here is another small thing from this old warthog before I drop off for the holidays. Before any pro truckers come and bash me (LOL!) this is for the newbies, but if I miss anything, feel free to chime in. Here we go.

It's been a month since I was hired as a Ready Mix driver. Here is a list of things I did learn:

1. Always do a proper PTI (morning and night).
    -This is CDL 101 my friends. My boss likes a quick 7-10 minute PTI... "Time is money." Never shirk. My truck had a few wiring issues that were quickly fixed as they were found. Go around your truck as you would checking all of the nuances like you always would (tires, fans, belts, fluids, lights, etc.). Now you have more than a few other things such as a drum, ladder and rollers. Thoroughly check everything.

2.Since it is the winter months, I will say the following: Winterize your truck. Now you're probably saying "Pyg? What does that mean?" Here is what you do:
    * Drain your water tank into your drum. Now I'm one to wait while I'm doing my post-trip inspections. I'll run the water into the drum. After I've backed to the washout area of the plant, I'll run the drum counter-clockwise to push out the water and the dirt in one swoop. You should hear sputtering of air when all of the water is out of the tank
    *Drain your air tanks. This again is CDL 101. I like to bleed the brakes down as I did when I tested for my CDL back in January. Just remember to leave your truck in neutral for the next day if you happen to be working the next day. And for goodness sake pull the lines on the tanks the next day to make sure there is no water in your air tanks. Again CDL 101 my friends.
    *And finally extend your hoses all the way out at the back of your truck. Make sure your valves are in the open position and if you have a squeeze handle on your hose (most likely you will), make sure the trigger is in the open position as well.

3. What the customer wants, the customer gets. By this I mean, while you answer to your plant manager, on the job site you answer to the customer. You may run into some difficult ones here and there, but stay professional at all costs. This is your paycheck you're talking about. By all means, build a rapport where they want you to come back. IF you do find yourself in a precarious position with one, try to talk it out and come up with a compromise between you both. IF that isn't possible, contact your dispatcher immediately.

4. Appearance is essential. By this I mean your truck and yourself. Since I don't have to tell someone else how to look, let's talk about the truck. After you're finished loading, you MUST wash the excess dust and debris off of the truck. To say this is kind of difficult speaks volumes especially if you got a ###### up truck from the beginning like I did. But do your best as it will pay off in the end.

5. Make sure your logs are as accurate as you can get them. A lot of my fellow drivers have the electronic system whereas I don't. We all do paper logbooks in the company though. This one is self-explanatory.

I'll try and come what anything else as time goes. I'm little tired today friends.

Happy Holidays until next time,

Voodoo Pyg.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    westcoast Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I served 2 years as a redi-mix driver. 11 yard. Got so tired of scrubbing that farking truck, and wallowing in the mud at the clean outs on sight. You've not yet begun to have fun, wait til you get somebody that takes 3 or so hours to unload in the summer. Then you will know pain.

Voodoo Pyg Thanks this.
  4. Voodoo Pyg

Voodoo Pyg Oink! Oink!

Jan 25, 2015
    Texas
    Actually my friend I've been in that position on more than one occasion already. It's been hot and cold at some points. Sheesh. Last Saturday it was pouring rain and these guys took a lunch break on me and another driver. We didn't leave that job until after 1:00 or 2:00p.m.and had been there since before 9:00a.m. You're right though. Summer is bound to be terrible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.