So it begins

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Chasingthesky, May 8, 2016.

1. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    So, it's been a month how's it going?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Slowly, unfortunately. I'm currently waiting on the Colorado title to be processed and sent to my finance company so the Arkansas IRP office can request it, change it to an AR title and send it back. That's the last step in the process and we all know how quickly the DMV handles things.

I've secured a trailer to lease from a former employer who I'm still on great terms with; a 2015 Big Tex 28+5 I'm going to lease until I can get my own. I have insurance on truck and trailer and got a DOT inspection and stickers this past week. Pre employment drug test is done, lease agreement and assorted paperwork has been signed... Its just a waiting game now.

In the good news department, my sis and brother in law are letting me use their rig to make a few runs this week at a 25% cut of gross so I at least have some kind of income while I wait. I'm typing this from the Exxon truck stop in Smiths Give, KY. Loaded yesterday out of Arkansas delivering to Morgantown, WV Monday, then a short run from OH to IN delivering Tuesday and hopefully something routed back towards the house after that, as they have a trip booked for next Friday that they're running.

4. ggr13

ggr13 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2016
    NoCo
    I'm going to be following in your trail here in the near future. I'm interested in getting into the hotshot biz. I'm up around Foco. I'm currently at Sage getting my CDL A. I've done quite a bit of reading up on this but I'd love to talk with someone from the area about their experiences.

5. 4ourfamily

4ourfamily Bobtail Member

May 23, 2016
    Marlow, OK
    Sky I am in the same situation as you. Was finally layed off when the oil field died here in OK. Have a free and clear home, have driven farm tag tractors since was 18 and this has been a life long dream. All I have is my home left but I am going to make it work if it had lips the governor. I am 53 and tired of making everyone else rich, now it's out turn. Will follow you and be in contact. Keep posting the info and I will send anything I come across to you. Good luck bro.

6. Chasingthesky

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    This thread isn't dead and neither am I!

After literal months of going round and round with the dealership, the Colorado dept of revenue, the credit union who financed my truck and the Arkansas IRP office, everything is FINALLY sorted out and I got plates on my truck yesterday. All the legal t's have been dotted and i's crossed and I can finally go trucking.

At what may be the worst possible time to jump into this business. Because I'm smart like that.

What I'm counting on to be my saving grace is lower operating costs and the contacts the company I'm leasing to has built up over the last year. Which isn't to say I'll be taking cheap freight. Just that I can afford to run less if the freight isn't there until (and if) the market picks back up a little.

7. Chasingthesky

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I picked up my first load this afternoon, a forklift going from NLR, AR to Harviell, MO. Almost no miles to pickup, 188 miles loaded @ $2.39 TTT.

After dropping it, I dead headed over to Mountain Grove, where I'm loading in the morning going to Sioux Falls, SD. 590 miles @ $1.65 TTT. Drop Friday morning and no plans after that just yet. Hopefully I'll have a load to run over the weekend. If not, I may drop down to Nebraska and visit a friend. Either way, I'll keep ya updated!

GoldenLad Thanks this.
  8. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Good luck sky. Glad you are on your way. As soon as possible take that backseat and passenger seat out and put a mattress in. If you run it front to back you should be able to get a twin size and sleep comfortably. Sleeping in that backseat will get old fast. Keep away from truckstops in big cities other than getting fuel.

9. Chasingthesky

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Thanks! I took the back seat out a few weeks ago. Been debating on taking the passenger seat out but it wouldn't make a huge difference in available room and its good for holding stuff, so I've left it for now. My truck is an '04 dodge quad cab and not the fancy new super extended models, so I have more room side to side than I would front to back. Its no Hilton, but it'll do for now. I figure if it gets too bad, I'll break it up with a motel room now and then.

10. Chasingthesky

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Well, I took a beating coming out of SD. My options were either spend the weekend there, since nothing was posting Friday, or do some Ushipping (I know, I know) back to AR and cover my fuel for a load going to Yuma Monday at $1.31 TTT. So I went with door number 2. Its relatively light too at 6k and I've been averaging 12 mpg today so I'm not mad about it.

In the good news department, we made a direct contact with a company in Missouri that we've hauled for multiple times. One less middleman is more money in my pocket.

11. Elliott42

Elliott42 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Sounds like your off to a decent start I myself am looking to get into this as well any advice on where to find loads locally and where to find local companies with a dot# or should I get my own any advice at all would be helpful I'm looking at a 2006 Chevrolet 3500 dually with duramax and 150,000 miles no trailer yet I was thinking about delivering trailers for local dealers and maybe some rvs part time for the first few months (if I can find any business) before I quit my job and rely solely on this

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.