So.. What's the point of being a company driver if...

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Friday, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Not to give away any future intentions or anything, but SFI's move to require company drivers to have 1yr+ OTR experience before being able to go on the program is giving me a very good reason to go somewhere else to get this year of experience. I actually called and asked them what the incentive to stay at Sni company vs a year of experience at sni + somewhere else and the only thing the girl could come up with was "if you have too many jobs in a year that could disqualify you". However when I asked if two jobs in a year was too many she said no.

Lol.

It's good to see them limit it, but #### it my plans are a bit screwed up now. By a couple months, not major...

Yeah yeah, I get that I'm a know nothing rookie. But, I drive good! J/k. More like I don't really care about money. I make my monthly bills in the first two days of working that month. And I'm single with no need for hometime. I care about being forced to do silly things and not having my puppy with me. There was a reason I originally came to the pumpkin #### it..

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Friday, I think it's generally true that companies start drivers at an entry level rate/compensation, which they increase if you hang around and don't do anything that raises their insurance rates. So you could stay for more money.

If you don't care about money, why are you looking at a move?

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im interested in learning why you think grass might be greener on the other company's fence?

Money should be your every concern. I would not turn a wheel for less than a thousand net each week. Knowing there will be times I will see zero due to hang ups in papers and billing sometimes. That is what savings are for.

In the old days you moved from company to a better company, for example I quit one to get a truck with power steering, then I quit that one to get a truck with power steering and air conditioning plus a 5 cent increase in mileage pay. Finally I quit that one to get a better and bigger truck with actual air ride and everything else and a two cent increase and so on. I have been with by my count close to 40 companies in my life time. Half of which do not exist anymore and a handful are enemies of me with a blacklist to prove it.

You want to behave and stay with a company for a good long time. It proves you much better as a person to be relied on in times of trouble and possibly to be rewareded with oppertunities down the road. I was made trainer with FFE after a year and change for both a purpose to break in my new spouse (Next time someone else train her then again....)and a potential future as a trainer once our team broke up. But we stopped running for FFE because despite 4 to 7000 ground miles each week, the mileage pay persisted in being 0.00 weekly due to the slowness of the Bills of Lading in getting paid, some took 90 days to pay.

It's a shame. Next time thinking back on that, I would have cut my spouse loose to go back home and stayed on as a salaried trainer. Our total income would have exceeded what we made together as a team there that year. But you make decisions and live with them. For better or worse.

In my later years I did not move from one company to another very easily. Someone would have had to offer me things that I never had (Such as satellite pay with deductions, .48 a mile and so on the moment your 5th wheel hooked onto the trailer. That gave me a chance to run my company job like a business direct depositing a amount to my spouse and house and taking just what I needed plus 10% for food.) Or a salaried position.

The mileage work is for the birds. It's a shame we are allowed to be abused and endure short miles one week and lots of miles the next. You see airline pilots flying empty planes to be deadhead to position for tomorrow's work on salary exceeding 150K a year day in and day out. Working a limited amount of hours. They do however put up with so much.

In fact I propose that mileage pay is a form of abuse these days. What with the rates as they are and contracts signed for long term hauling for year or more to a company and clients, there is no longer any reason to dribble out a dollar in miles when you can simply salary someone a certain amount provided the loads are on time. If not? Simply don't pay for the week. If they fail to make savings and complain, fire em. There are 50 more ready to take his or her job.

Dave_in_AZ, rachi and Friday Thank this.
  5. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Pet policy. I'm referring to sni l/p in the original post. Used to be 1 year OTR exp required unless sni company OTR, then 6 months.

I suppose the very major reason is to learn the sni way. Learn customers, routes etc. ignoring that however, there's no reason to stay.

Just got off phone with roehl. .40cpm, pet policy, same dinky trucks and miles. 4 day orientation and assigned truck at my level of experience. But a possibility of a camera... Ugh. ####ing cameras.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Do yourself a favor.... Make your rookie mistakes on the companies dime.

What's one year.....

morpheus, Dave_in_AZ, DsquareD and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    And this is the reason that this thread is entirely pointless. I'm just annoyed. Considering that I started in April and my plan for life (assuming I enjoyed the job and was willing to put in a few more years which is definitely turning out to be true) was to jump over in February/March of next year. So 10-11 months. In reality I'm complaining about a month or two, not a half a year. But the way I've next January planned, I'll be on vacation way on the other side of the world for the second half of Jan. Plan was to turn company truck in before and pick mine up after. That'll be somewhat more annoying now.

As far as I shouldn't be doing anything unless money... I'm not independently wealthy or anything. But I've no debt, decent credit and honestly, if I wanted to make more money I could go and put my degree to use. Let's say I do not enjoy office politics and cubicles. This is better. And there's less of a ceiling here.

8. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Are you wanting to go on the Choice board and have to wait a year to be qualified?

9. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Yep. That's essentially it.

Bah, maybe I'm tired and can't reason properly.

Point was, if someone was interested in choice and was coming to sni as company to get experience prior to it, there was incentive before. Didn't need as much experience. Now it doesn't matter. A year experience whether it's at sni or somewhere else. Had this been the case from beginning.... I'm not sure what id have done. Having knowledge of sni systems and lanes is invaluable. But I want my darn puppy. Haven't seen the puppy in too long now.

Waggledaddy Thanks this.
  10. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Too many 6 month drivers failed.

11. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    If only I could find an OTR company that had a:

Pet policy
    Good equipment (apu fridge inverter)
    No camera

I'd just be a happy company driver. The one I found is Jim Palmer, hits all 3 categories, but they won't touch me until I've 18 months of experience. It's no experience or 18 months + for insurance there. And reefer... No reefer...

Bah. It's not like I've issues with my record. Everything is perfect. Well, except employment history last year. I did a whole lot of traveling and blowing savings last year.

Waggledaddy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.