So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Elliott42

Elliott42 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2016
    I am looking at getting into this business i have my CDL class A with tankers and Hazmat i have been working for a local coop hauling fertilizer and rigs with big trucks but would like to another F350 (ex wife took my last one) and start hotshotting. I am curious if anyone knows of any companies in the North Central Kansas/South Central Nebraska area that would hire me on basicly to find me loads and keep me busy i am willing to haul what ever needs hauled i dont have a trailer yet but will as soon as i find work to keep me busy and making money. Email me at feight142@gmail.com thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    First of all I wouldn't get an F-350 for this kind of work. I'd look at a Ram 4500/5500 chassis cab with Cummins for power. If you insist on Ford move up to a 450/550 platform. You already have the Class A license so I would go straight to the "bigger" small stuff. A lot of these guys are trying to do this with regular Class C licenses so they're trying to keep everything to 26,000 or less but you don't have to worry about that.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  4. Pivotal

Pivotal Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Question about max hauling weight. (not concerned about going over 26K..I will have apportioned tags for 40-44K)

2016 Dodge Ram has a GVWR 14000#
    Trailer that I am looking at has GVWR 24900#
    The combined GVWR totals. 38900#

Truck weighs around 7K and the trailer come in a 9500#
    So when I am empty I should scale around 17K to be on the safe side.

Will I be able to carry the 21K legally?

Thanks!

5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Pivotal, most of the guys running that type equipment stop at 16,000lbs. To much strain on equipment everyday pulling more weight.

Pivotal Thanks this.
  6. Gbr

Gbr Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2016
    What's the best site or option to find loads, I'm in arizona, thanks for your help.

7. andy789

andy789 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    If you dont mind me asking what insurance company do you use and are there any others you recommend?

8. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Andy 789 you will have to locate a agent in the state you are based out of. The first few years it will be expensive. Be sure to get a few different quotes and do not go with the lowest one you always want to be with a A rated company. After about 5 years the best insurance companies will insure you for less money. Hope this helps.

flatbedcarrier and Gbr Thank this.
  9. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    I've been reading for a couple days, and will do a LOT more. 35+ years class8 trucking, for other people.
    Tell me if my idea is totally nuts, but I think one would be better off with a midsize truck, a Freightliner business class, or Pete 335, or similar. They don't cost that much more new over the cost of a 5500 Ram. and used they are less. Of course one must be careful buying used, but I have seen them with about 150k in the $30k range. You would get around 10k more gvw, and could license at 60k with a tandem axle stepdeck, which would open up a lot more load options. The engine, tires, drivetrain, frame, and brakes are stouter and would last much longer. fuel mileage is about the same. I already have the CDL/air brakes, so no issue there. I know some costs would be more, but should offset with longer life.
    What do ya think?

KB3MMX and Gbr Thank this.
  10. Gbr

Gbr Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I was thinking even a single axle cascades would work

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Yes, but usually used ones will be high mileage, or much higher cost, plus they are heavier to start with, which cuts down your load capacity.
    Just look at truckpaper.com and see what they cost compared to a midsize truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.