some beginner manual starting issues

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DC843, Oct 6, 2015.

1. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    hey we just started driving today and im having some issues I just cant get with starting out in manual. I can upshift and downshift decently I still need plenty of work but im getting it.

my problem is when I start off from a stop (we normally start off in 4th gear, bobtailing or empty trailer used, its a 10 speed) I cant get the balance between letting off the clutch smoothly and giving it gas right. every time the truck goes buck buck buck buck shaking then starts a choppy roll.

my instructor is not much help all he tells me is to ease off the clutch and start to give it gas, I was hoping someone could elaborate in more detail on all the steps of exactly what I should be doing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    start off in 2nd gear instead.

in all my years, bobtail or unloaded, i have not started off in such a higher gear then 2nd.

4. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    More finesse will help you, but G.Anthony is right, 4th gear doesn't have a lot of torque and would require a patient start to get rolling even empty (Avg truck probably weighs around 15k, and empty 53' trailer also about 15k) that's 30,000 pounds empty. That's a lot to get shaking in 4th gear. Use less fuel (gas pedal) to get a smoother start.

I had a similar problem, and I only overcame it with practice. No matter what I read/watched I didn't seem to pick it up until I just did it a million times.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You do not apply any throttle when starting from a stop. Leave it at idle as you let out the clutch and until the clutch is fully out and the truck is moving at "idle speed" in your beginning gear, then slowly apply throttle.

Not sure what trainer would say use throttle AS you're letting out on the clutch. This is a big truck, not a 1975 Subaru starting out up a steep hill. The dynamics are all different.

okiedokie, Jran11, Dumdriver and 3 others Thank this.
  6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Bobtail or mt trailer, never start at greater than 3rd. STexan is spot on...just ease the clutch out with no throttle, once the clutch is fully out then EASE down the throttle.

When shifting through gears (up or down) remember, that clutch only needs a couple inches of travel...don't send it down to the floor. Clutch peddle at the floor is only for activating the clutch brake.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And remember, when applying throttle after the gear change, do so "slowly and gently" and only to about half throttle, max. You should never have the engine get anywhere near "taching out" while upshifting.

With each progressive gear up, you can increase the tach perhaps an additional 100 rpm's, but less then 6th gear you should rarely exceed about 1200 rpm's. Learn to shift with "sound and feel" more-so then paying too much attention to the tach and you will probably pick it up faster. Each truck and weight combination is a bit different in what works best in terms of shifting.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  8. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    yes he is such a jack@ss that doesn't teach anything really, just talks #### for you not getting it after he says it one time. which really makes me wanna go off but its not worth getting kicked out school. my luck of the draw I guess.

but yeah that makes so much more sense, I had in the back of my mind that's how I should be doing it but was trying to do it as he said.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Forgive my brashness, but your so-called "instructor" not only doesn't have a clue, but he has NO business whatsoever "instructing" anyone.

First of all, don't take off in 4th gear, ever. If he told you that, he's an idiot.

Like others have said, don't take off in any gear hgher than second. Doing this does nothing but cause premature clutch wear. If it were me, I would use 1st gear for half a load or more.

The second lie you were told is giving throttle while engaging the clutch, which is totally unnecessary due to the way heavy trucks are geared. That's something you do in your car, NOT in a big truck.

Even uphill with a load it isn't necessary. You just partially engage the clutch while holding the brake. That stops the tendency to roll back. Then let out the clutch the rest of the way.

I'm truly sorry to read what you've written, not that any of it was your fault, but it's just more proof that a bad "instructor" is worse than none at all.

John 2854, Studebaker Hawk and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    The computer won't allow the truck to stall.
    Starting in 2nd gear would be easier for a beginner.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  11. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Yeah community college bs. He just sits around on the picnic bench or in the passengers seat and thinks we want to hear story's of his kids and family and his past students it's the worst. I tought myself everything through this website an YouTube then just practiced at the school. His only instrcuctions on how to parallel park was to cut it this way then cut it back and when you pass the cone cut it it back. Couldn't not come close till I saw someone break it down on YouTube.

But yeah it all makes sense now I can't wait for tomorrow to drive with some guidence

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.