Split sleeper help ASAP

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Tmichael2332, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Tmichael2332

Tmichael2332 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Mississippi
    I haven't done a split sleeper in a few years and kind of drew a blank on a few things. I read some threads on here and tried to do the math myself. Ended up just confusing myself more. Basically I need some help with how many hours I will have after my split.
    I have 7.5 hours left on my 11.
    Went into sleeper with 5.5 left on my 14 @1700
    So after 8 hours in the sleeper my 14 is extended to 0630 correct? Along with my 7.5 to drive. If I take the 2 hour break after driving 6 hours. How many hours will that leave me on the 14 and 11 when the 2 hour break is up?
    FYI elogs and yes my company allows splits.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I think your 8 hour portion freezes your 14. You "wake up" after 8 hours and have the same hours remaining of your 14 that you had when you started the 8 hours, ditto on the 11 hour clock. Now you drive all or most of your 11 away, those same hours are subtracted from your 14. Go to sleep for 2 hours and you wake up with new 14 & 11, or whatever hours you pickup if you are doing recap.

I stay away from split sleeper precisely because it's easy to make a mistake & hose your HOS.

rabbiporkchop and fargonaz Thank this.
  4. rearview

rearview Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Tenakee Springs
    you are going to get yourself in trouble.

looks more like you are working off of the 5.5 rather than the 7.5.

you do not gain the 2 hours to make 7.5. you are still stuck at the 5.5 until you hit the 10 hour reset.

least that is what i am reading

you also have to look forward into the day to make sure you do not go over the 14 after the 2 hours off.

elogs is supposed to protect you from yourself, but.......

5. Tmichael2332

Jan 9, 2014
    Mississippi
    You were right rearview.

found a video that really helped me understand it all. In case anybody else happens to stumble across this thread with issues.

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's a couple of free apps one could use without having to worry about the math. Just write what it says on your logs. I'm pretty sure you can just draw in the lines. But they do actually work like the real thing also. Drive time and all that jazz.

7. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    The simple way to remember it is that your 8 hours SB stops the clock, and after you finish your second part of the split (so you have your 10 hours) your day restarts to the end of the first part of your split break.

So when you get to the end of your second break, just calculate how many hours you have driven and worked since the end of the first break.

The 8 in the SB stops the clock, the 2 hour break does not stop the clock.

Oh, and you can take either the 8 or the 2 first, you just have to take both.
    (and usually the 8 first makes more sense, but sometimes say taking a 2 before you are loaded, then taking the 8 to wait out the rush hour, works out better.)

8. Tmichael2332

Jan 9, 2014
    Mississippi
    I thought I had it all figured out but I got up to check after 8 hours go see if my math was right. I was way off. I have 9:10 on my 11 and 11:58 on my 14. Still not quite sure how I got that but I just needed 7 hours so I'm rolling with it lol. Definitely staying away from the split until I have a better understanding.

9. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Think of the 8 hour sleeper portion of a split as a "time out."

It does NOT earn you any time back, it just temporarily stops the 14 hr clock.

Whatever 11 hr and 14 hr time you had left before the 8 hr sleeper, you still have that much left before you have to take 2 or more hrs off-duty/sleeper.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    DON'T bother splitting. Take it all. The HOS gets destroyed in addition to you are writing yourself violations that will bite back at you when someone looks at it.

The hours you have left after whatever split is still there until your reset kicks in. SO, don't split, just roll out your 11 hours. Then take the full sleeper time. The recap will tell you what you will have tomorrow after the 10.

To me to split is painting in corner. Not worth it anymore in today's hours.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Once a guy gets a good grasp on it, it can be a very useful tool. Especially if there was a delay getting loaded or unloaded and you got a 650 mile day ahead of you. In practice that can mean the difference of getting to the reciever first in line at 6 am and empty by 7 heading to the next load vs 10th in line at 8 and empty at noon and is to late to get another load that day.

ExOTR, Panhandle flash, Ke6gwf and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.