Spoke with rep at JJ Keller about E-Logs

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    KeepTrucking seems to be the other good option out there.

Currently free to use as an electronic log book, and when the ELD mandate hits, I think it will be $20 a month per truck, or $30 a month with IFTA reporting.

https://keeptruckin.com

(and if you are using electronic logs, make sure you have a printer in case you are asked for a hard copy! Most will probably accept an email, but they can still require a hard copy.)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    The FMCSA clarified that you are not required to provide a hard paper copy so long as the logging device has a viewable inspection mode of your last 7 days.

4. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    I just read it today, and they said for the automatic On Board Data Recorders, you don't have to have the hard copy printout, but we are talking about Electronic Log books, which is under the same rules as paper, including giving them a hard copy.
    In the guidance for the Electronic Logs, it even specifically says that an officer needs to allow a driver to print it out.

Some are quoting the Guidance for the OBDR, and applying it to the Electronic Logbooks, and that is not a good idea!

If you can find me a place where it says you don't have to print a hard copy for the Electronic Logbooks, I would love to see it, because I am just getting ready to switch, and I would rather not have to carry a printer all the time...

5. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    "If a DOT officer or roadside inspector insists on paper copies, how must those paper copies be produced?

The requirement for electronic document reproduction is that a paper copy is available “immediately and without risk of losing or altering data.” Inspectors have different interpretations of what methods of reproduction meet this requirement. Some inspectors accept faxed or printed logs sent to the nearest truck stop, or handwritten copies made onto paper log sheets.
    • When a DOT officer or roadside inspector insists on paper copies, must they allow a driver to print their electronic logs in the truck using a connected printer?

Yes. The latest guidance states that:

If the enforcement official requests printed copies of the RODS, the driver must be given an opportunity to print the current and prior seven days RODS (if required on those days) at the time of inspection"
    https://www.bigroad.com/inspection

6. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    So according to that article the paper logs must be printed immedately upon request so not to alter or cause confusion so that means drivers will have to have printers in their trucks at all times. I like how it says you can fax or print at a truck stop. Well what if your a one man show and don't have an office staff to handle that, this seems like more of a headache now then it did at the start.

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I have told people on this site many times and the total lack of research is amazing. There is one vendor that has no monthly fees VDO Road log.

Jeck and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Yes, right now, for the Elogbook apps, you need to have a printer with you.

If you upgrade to the ELD (which is the same app, just includes a dongle that connects to the ECM port), then the printing requirements go away, you are now required to be able to transfer the records electronically, either via web, or Bluetooth or USB drive, etc.

Right now there are 3 approved methods to record your HOS.

AOBRD, which is the old style electronic recorders that connect to the engine.
    These rules were made back in the
    1980s, so for old technology. (some were actually mechanical round paper charts lol)

The new ELD rules are for current technology, including wireless data connectivity.

Then you have your standard paper logbooks.
    What we are talking about is the electronic version of the paper logs, but it is still completely under the same rules as the paper logs, they just are allowing electronic emulation of them.
    But unless you get the engine connection, you are not under either AOBRD OR ELD, therefore you have to be prepared to give them a paper log.
    (Though places already set up for ELD *May* allow you to email or fax it, but that is officer discretion, and not something the rules tell them to do)

9. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Lol, I have spent quite a bit of time searching on here for such options, and have never seen that one mentioned before!
    I will have to look it up too

10. Ooops

Ooops Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Yes
    Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can.
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    It is the foreign element that commits our crimes. There is no native criminal class except Congress. Mark Twain

11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    "I need paper copies of your logs..." Says the inspector on the side of the freeway.

"Sorry officer, I don't carry a printer with me, I can send you a fax, an email, or you can view them right here on my tablet..."

"No, I need paper copies..."

"Okay, I have some paper logs with me, give me about an hour and I will transcribe my elctronic logs onto paper for you if you insist..."

Now, do really think that officer is going to sit there for an hour while you transcribe your logs on to paper? I highly doubt it.

Btw, I've had 3 inspections since I've been using BigRoad. Not one inspector asked me to produce paper copies or to even fax or email my logs to them.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.