SRT: Update to This Company?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Travis Simpson, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Travis Simpson

Travis Simpson Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Hello,
    I am new to the Trucking Industry, which I have much respect for the people who make careers out of it. Just studying and researching it shows how intense of a field this can be!

I recently applied to SRT, got accepted, completed the online course and have to get my CDL Permit. After that I am told to email or fax it to them, then they will get a bus ticket for me to Texarkana. I currently live in D'Iberville, MS, where I just moved to from New Mexico. Needing a job is what drove me to this. And quite honestly, have been looking at trucking for a while now.

From reading the website Truckingtruth, to exploring the web finding what information I can, I see so many bad reviews for SRT. Being the Tech Nerd that I am, I don't base my opinion solely off these poorly orchestrated review sites which only collect bad reviews and post them in one center, Xing out the good reviews.

Crawling this website I see a mixed base of good and bad. I take the bad with a grain of salt, seeing many truckers call out the bad the way I figured it would be. Why let a bad seed make the company? So here I am!

I want the final opinion, is SRT decent just for getting my foot in the door trucking? Should I go through with it, or research and try for other companies? I read about Swift and Knight, and they seem to be a little more picky in who they will train and give schooling to. They are also much farther away.

What can the experts of trucking tell me? What advice can you offer? What will help me to "make it" in this field?

Thank you all for reading and offering your opinion!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Happy drivers are generally quiet drivers. The loudest ones are the unhappy ones. A lot of the unhappy comes from driver failures of various natures. Not all of it is untrue but I'm sure you can make money/exp at SRT as long as you have realistic expectations.

Covenant owns SRT. *Edited, got my companies mixed up.

SRT, Knight, Swift would all be good choices to start.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Travis Simpson Thanks this.
  4. Travis Simpson

Oct 6, 2015
    That is a bit what I figured! Thank you for your input. And I had no idea that Swift owned SRT, so that's cool to know. Any other advice is much appreciated! I am studying a bit more for the written test for the CDL + Tanker endorsement as that is what they require. I'm considering getting the Hazmat endorsement as well, as they pay extra when you have the Tanker and Hazmat endorsements.

5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    SRT is owned by Covenant not Swift. Swift owns Central Refrigerated ... formerly known as Dick Simon Transport

6. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Reefer is a lot of extra waiting, generally pays a bit better than dry van. Any OTR experience is good experience so pick something you think you'd like. Tankers and Flatbedders earn more generally, but they earn it. Reefer earns a bit more than dry van generally as well. It also seems like a lot of reefers I see are using nicer equipment (trailer/tractor wise). Also see a lot of company reefers with APUs, which are nice to have.

There are so many companies to choose from, no reason to limit yourself. Decide what sort of freight you want to haul, find someone with a terminal close to your home, and apply. Put in a solid year with the same company and go from there. I wish like hell I'd stayed with the company I started with, just so my employment record wouldn't be punctuated with job swaps. Once you pick your company don't buy into the "Grass is Greener" type things you may see as it's generally not, it's the same grass in a different field.

Good luck, be safe!

Thanks, sorry. Got my reefer companies mixed up. :p

7. Travis Simpson

Oct 6, 2015
    Okay thought so haha, then I thought maybe Swift took it over or something lol. Thank you for your input!

What are reefers? Sorry haha, I keep seeing that and wondering what that is! My mind automatically goes to something else..lol.
    And yeah, reading all these sites they say not to just jump on the first offer you get, so it has lead me to this forum, getting opinions from the more experienced. Thank you again for all your advice!

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Reefers are refrigerated trailers.
    SRT does lots of coast to coast running. Lots of produce, frozen food, etc from California/Pacific Northwest to Florida and other points on the east coast.

Swift has driver facing cameras and sound monitoring equipment in the truck; can hear talking and other sounds. Some are OK with this "big brother" thing, but you're a techie, so you probably wouldn't be comfortable knowing this technology is living with you in your little home on wheels.

12 months with SRT and you will have experience to go with any of 1000's of companies.

Earl Henderson Trucking is also a good choice for a starter company. It's also a reefer outfit.
    CTL Transportation has their own CDL training.

All of these have various benefits concerning food and lodging during CDL school.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    ^^^ I think Chinatown meant to say SRT has driver-facing cameras. This is a deal-breaker for many.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, I meant Swift.
    If SRT now has them, I wasn't aware of it. Do they ?
    That would be a deal breaker for me also.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I seem to recall a thread dealing with SRT and driver facing cameras. But I may be mistaken. But I wasn't aware Swift was doing them.

Travis Simpson and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.