St. Louis FLJ (I-255, Exit 17a)

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Pinqui, May 17, 2015.

1. Pinqui

Pinqui Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    I stopped in here one night and regretted it about an hour later. It's a maybe less than average FLJ, but the Denny's experience was probably the worst I've ever had. I don't fool myself with high expectations for Denny's. I can tell you, the way people conduct themselves at Denny's near Rogers, MN is a world different from this experience. The only reason I went in is because it was more than a few days since I'd eaten vegetables. I wanted a salad and something that wasn't a hot dog or sandwich wedge.

I got in after dinner rush, so the wait staff wasn't overwhelmed. I picked a booth toward the back because there was a large family at the front. I didn't want to listen to an hour of parenting. The waitress walked over and looked at me as if I committed a felony for sitting in her station. Through the entire meal, nothing was handed to me or set on the table. The waitress didn't even speak to me in complete sentences. The first thing she barked to me as she walked up was, "Tea or coke?" Successive visits to the table involved slinging things or slamming them down as she flew by. She never paused to set something down. She only had one other table occupied in her section, so she can't hide behind a 'busy' excuse. My behavior didn't warrant it either since I barely had opportunities to say anything to her. She took my dinner order and whirled away before I could even ask for my salad. I watched her treat the couple at the table in front of me the same way. When she left a table, she disappeared into the back for twenty-thirty minutes at a time.

This is by far the absolute rudest I have ever seen a food server act. I gave her the benefit of the doubt on the first offense, but anything after that isn't a slip or accident. It's attitude. Gruff, surly, brusque, snotty attitude. I decided to play dumb because I did actually want what I ordered. Yes, I could've asked for the manager, but all the same, management has multiple opportunities to see this for themselves. I'm sure this has already been mentioned. Who cares if I'm comped at Denny's?

Once the check was slapped onto the table, I didn't walk up to the cashier. Instead, I settled the bill in coins by the plate and left a .17 tip. She needed to see that. I also wrote a note on the back of the receipt explaining the tip and that I didn't deserve the lousy treatment. I hope the couple at the table in front of me did the same. If you want to make money in the service industry, don't treat your customers like that.

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    A 17 cent tip ?
    That's why I don't eat at sit down truckstop restraunts.
    This waitress puts up with truck drivers wearing cowboy costumes from the Petro, most are lonely and need to spew their boring lies to a captive, half pretty girl. Even if she listens and seems interested, Mr 19 dollar cowboy hat will only leave a 50 cent tip and stroll out like he left a small fortune for her.
    Your 17 cent protest was a normal tip for her.
    At that location, I'd eat at the deli, and wish I'd planned my trip better so that I could have strolled to a bar and grill a short distance from the truckstop. There's a reason non truckstop waitresses are more attentive, regular people tip well.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Dale thompson Thanks this.
  4. Pinqui

Pinqui Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    If you need to be surly to people because of where you work, you deserve a 50 cent tip, or no tip at all. There are better ways of dealing with bad customers.

Why does trip planning even come into it? I planned to stop there. I wasn't there because I was suddenly out of hours or fuel. I go where I'm near to my pick-up/drop and where I can fuel before shutting down. In that day's case, it was the side of town I wanted to be on so I could skip morning traffic.

5. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I never get rude treatment wherever I go. I guess it's because I don't dress or act like the stereotype truck driver.

truckon and gntorres61 Thank this.
  6. Pinqui

Pinqui Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Neither do I. Our company also gets after drivers if they slob it up.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same here, but I don't eat in truck stops.

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I'm sorry, I thought you wanted a fine dining experience and I tried to explain that wasn't possible at a truck stop diner.

9. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Dennys sucks. Most of their staff are goofballs and obviously spending too much time with truckers has rubbed off on them. I gave up on Dennys. Look forward to the day when Flying J puts something else in there.

10. bigcat1124

bigcat1124 Heavy Load Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Service has really went downhill over the years. The fact that you said you wanted to ask for your salad is just that. I do believe it is the big chain restaurants that have the most problems. I try and eat at mom and pops. I can't fuel at them or I would. They always seem to appreciate your business unlike the big chains.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    As much as I do not like Pilots or Flying J's since the takeover, you should know that PFJ does not own or manage the Denny's restaurants at their locations. The fast food joints yes. Not Dennys. Denny paid PFJ for each of the locations and sold them to franchisees who operate them. They, in turn, pay PFJ 7% of their gross receipts as rent.

Pinqui Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.