stack questions for 389

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by papamoonshine, Aug 30, 2015.

1. papamoonshine

papamoonshine Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    I'm wondering if anyone builds stacks for a 389 that still allows the def to be on it still. I was looking at my truck and it looks as if its just a straight pipe from the filter on out. Maybe I'm wrong its a 13 if that matters

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Lincoln Chrome and Dynaflex both offer pipes for newer 389's that aren't supposed to discolor from the heat.

4. papamoonshine

Aug 25, 2013
    You know how they sound by chance? I ran a 04 379 with a c15 straight to 8's sounded real nice this truck I have now is a 13 389 witha paccar motor in it thanks

5. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    With the new trucks that have a dpf and stuff on them the sound doesn't change much because all the emission stuff is staying on. That's why you see so many new trucks with a weedburner and dummy pipes up the cab. They don't have to spend a bunch of money on pipes that can handle the heat.

6. RidinDirty11

RidinDirty11 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Papa, I agree with Long about the dummy stacks. As for sound, it will be an improvement, but a 13 liter engine will not sound as deep as a 15. I have a Cat C12 I really like on a Pete. Been a great engine, did some work on it ( puts out around 500 hp now), pulls hard, and runs great. I have straight stacks on it, and I can hear the difference between it and a 15.

7. papamoonshine

Aug 25, 2013
    Ok well the reasons I ask this is the guy I haul for allows the driver do what ever to the trucks we want. So if I buy all kinds of chrome it stays on my truck. Thing is he trades them about every 3 years or so. I liked the way the c15 I ran sound and I figure its my office more or less my truck they just pay for it might as well doll it up a bit and make it pretty but maybe ill shy from the stacks being its such a large amount and what its worth

8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    It won't change the sound much, if at all, because all the emission crap has to stay on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.