Stainless steel cups 3.0

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Socal Xpress, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    So......yea looks like I will be doing cups again.

I had the copper cups replaced at 500k. The first set of stainless lasted less the 40k. They were replaced under warranty. Now I am at 680k and have the normal symptoms of cups going bad. Losing prime......rpm flutter.......mpg getting worse.

First dealership that did the stainless was Westfall in Missouri. The warranty was done at Denver. Now the latest dealer will be Tec of Fontana. Hope I only lose a week of work.

Really disappointed with this issue. For the most part I love this truck but ####.

Johny41 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Problem now is not the new stainless cups, but how and with what tool are used for install. Updated tool set must be used and have CLEAN holes and cups coated with proper Loctite and Loctite activator spray to have a chance for success. I don't think that it will ever be 100% success rate, but Volvo/Mack Tech who does just cups all day says come backs are down to 1 or 2 out of 10.

KB3MMX and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I've used all the loctite #### and activator spray from a while back, didn't have any come back till about 200k later with exact same issue. the dealer around here run a special for cups and injectors i can't even touch their pricing as a small shop. they're just doing them really cheap and relatively quick

5. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    At this point I think I am going to look into buying the proper tools and learn how to do the overhead. I mean doing cups every 200k is ridiculous. I may have to consider getting into a Freightshaker and running DD's

6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just talked to an O/O Thursday on the radio who just had his truck repaired at TEC of Buena Park and had good things to say. Only down 1 day to replace radiator, CAC and some other misc. items.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  7. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I might have try them. I am not to happy with Fontana.

8. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It's Stupid the way they have them designed, trying to repair a truck by holding #### down with locktite it don't work. Next year they are going with a common rail set up on volvo engines don't know if it's going to be any better or worse we'll just have to wait and see.

QUALITYTRUCK and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  9. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I was looking foward to the new design but after this experience not sure if I want to try again with Volvo.

10. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    So the new changes coming from volvo are, New Common Rail injector set up from what i understand something like what dd15 is running part mechanical part electrical injection system, removing vgt turbo replacing with simple turbo and an extra driver behind turbo to convert the heat being wasted into engine power, new programing for the XE package with even lower RPM at cruising speeds, they are also changing rockers to make them easier to be servicable, hollow lighter camshaft cutting about i belive 50 lbs worth of weight from cam, also cutting weight in the block itself. The benefit of all this is about a 2.5% increase if fuel efficiency which they definately need I dont know how it's going to hold up all engineers are saying it's holding up real well in all the lab testing, but as we all know that's not real world conditions also they are making the SCR Catalyst smaller and lighter. This should be in second part of 2017 trucks definately 2018 trucks. Just a matter of waiting and seeing. Probably add to the list new Steering Shafts as well.

Johny41 and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  11. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    The new common fuel rail have their own set of problems, over time the fuel rail tends to break down inside and air bubbles form.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.