Starting From a stop on slight incline..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RedTheTrucker, Aug 4, 2015.

1. RedTheTrucker

RedTheTrucker Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Hey guys i retest tommorow only have to complete my driving road skills test after a few days of going at it with my school i managed to gain another 3 hours of drive time and feel alot better with my driving

Now Im only worried about this small incline with traffic lights if that light turns red when i get there i will be nervous

my question is when im at that stop and it turns green how much rpm should i rev to get from 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Basically on an incline in low gear range what rpm should i rev to in a 10 speed to have a smooth shift between gears

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    In my opinion, if you really dont feel comfortable then just stay in whatever gear to make it to the top of incline then shift. But its simple enough, just rev it a couple hundred more than you normally do to shift. Empty though I would think just shift normally. If it is that steep of an incline go with what I just said.

dca Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Well this may more than you want to know in this short of a time span. What I do in these sort of situations (if your truck has this option) is to manually turn on the engine fan. This loads the engine enough so that when you go to shift, the engine slows down way faster than normal, allowing you to get into the next gear before the truck slows down too much to miss the shift. But you don't have enough time to practice it in this short of time. But keep in mind for the future.
    In the mean time I'll second mrdot.

5. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    Also dont get yourself paranoid about failing over grinding a couple gears! If you're confident with everything else, then it wont make ya or break ya. A lot of these examiners can be very understanding when it comes to the little things but all I have to go off of is my experience I guess lol. Just relax and roll with it. and good luck

6. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Is it in a left hand turn lane???

If it is where I think it is, just load the clutch in third, ease it out slow to get rolling and then take the turn in fourth, don't worry about fifth.

7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I had a trainee that stalled up hill.. what I told him.. start in second .. go to about 1700 rpm. By the time the gear is changed it'll drop between 11 and 15. It worked for him most of time. He did finally got the hang of it. There's a little more to it like.. match the gear to the speed and rpm. Empty weight and loaded weights But that's for later

8. runningfr8

runningfr8 Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2015
    personally I wouldn't look at rpm.... listen and count start in 2nd gear,,,,count like 1 2 shift little more for 4th gear....quick shift and use your fuel pedal....did I confuse you?

9. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Needing to look at the tach when starting is not good. By the time you test for your license you should know by engine sound and seat-of-the-pants feel. Or maybe I was ahead of the curve by then... Start in first and rev a little high before shifting because you will lose road speed more rapidly when climbing a grade and may not be the quick shifter that you will be later in your career.

I never learned what RPM I need to be "in" for any particular speed. It changes due to road speed (or no road speed when at a stop), incline or decline and gross weight. Sure I missed my share of gears in my first year. But I was not looking down at the dash when I should be watching the road ahead and all its dangers.

"There is no try. Only DO!" ~ Some short green thing.

Mikeeee

10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's very simple. Even thou every truck is different you method can remain the same. On flat level ground you start the truck out without applying any power to move the truck. You apply power AFTER the clutch is out and not before. If you can move the truck in 3rd and not in 4th then third is the gear you start out in. If you can move in 5th and not 6th then 5th is the gear. Don't go to 1st because you'll be shifting way too much. just let the clutch out slowly then accelerate. Whatever you do don't treat it like you going to drag race the truck. Just relax and let the engine work for you.

On hills it's a little different because you know no matter what you do you're going to roll back some. Recognizing the problem is most of the battle. If any inspector does not give you a thumbs up for doing your best to minimize the hazard then he or she is an idiot to begin with.

If you have a trailer brake handle and they let you use it that makes the situation a little easier. No matter what you can do this is where you have to apply power to hold the truck or start to get it moving forward. It's all in timing. When the brakes are released you must match the power applied to the wheels to the engagement of the driveline. If you do that you will not roll back and will leave at the precise moment.That's a perfect leave. Every truck will be different on how long it takes to release the brakes so it's hard and takes some practice. I watch the light and when it gets time I let my clutch out to where I know it's just about to engage and rev about 1000rpm to apply power just like you would do in a car. You have to practice and remember the safety items and I believe you'll do ok.

11. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I don't agree with that statement...

Mikeeee

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.