Starting school Aug 17 in Richfield

Discussion in 'Millis' started by keen98, Aug 2, 2015.

1. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Hey guys I got accepted to start schooling on Aug 17 in Richfield. Pretty excited. I've driven a truck before but it was 10 years ago and didn't do it long because of some family situations at the time. Hoping its like riding a bike and it all comes back quick and easy.

Couple questions. Is class everyday of week or are weekends off? Or are weekends our time to practice at range? Do we need workboots/steeltoe for school or are shoes OK?

Thanks for help and can't wait to get started and I'd appreciate any other info/advice/etc anyone has.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  4. tseders93

tseders93 Bobtail Member

May 4, 2014
    Class is M-F you are not allowed to operate school equipment without the instructor there. Shoes are perfectly fine.

On a side note, Chris Smith will be your instructor, goofy guy, but easy to talk to, and by the end of the class you will remember 3 phrases.
    1. Slower is faster, faster is slower.
    2. It is what it is.
    3. I was forgiving you the whole time.

5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
  6. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Sitting here out of hours for the day so figured I'd give an update.

Been in my own truck since last week of Oct. Training was really good and my time with my trainer was also good. We had our issues a couple times but 2 grown men cramped in a truck for 5 weeks I'd say it's guaranteed to happen. We handled it like men, got my own truck, and we still talk on the phone 1-2 times a week.

Was given a brand new automatic with 9000 miles fresh out of my trainers truck. Wasn't wanting auto but now I don't mind it at all. Company paid TV and XM radio is pretty nice.

For being fresh out of school I'm amazed at the miles I get. Since Oct I've had 3 weeks when I've stayed out on weekend I have not gotten 3000. Every other week I've ran the weekends I've had 3000+ with 3 3750-3800 mile weeks and on average between 3300-3500. I've loved it. No micromanagement no pestering me on Qualcomm nothing like that. Get my dispatch and get left alone.
    I really have no complaints except the #### beeping from the front facing camera for following distance. Don't get me wrong on interstate I always stay back and safe following distance but that thing drives me nuts in the big cities like Chi Atl etc. Other than that I couldn't be happier. Actually considering becoming a trainer when I'm allowed.

Well that's my update any questions feel free to ask and everbkdy stay safe.

zilla916 and SHOJim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.