Starting training 8-24

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Poacher, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Poacher

Poacher Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
    One of my alley docks. Not the best but not bad either. Didn't get under it in time. Ended up using a pullup.

Straight Stacks, Brehon and rholl32 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Best to ya on your testing, Poacher.

Relax.......your goin' to do just fine.

Glad your having fun at the same time.

THAT'S what I'm talkin', 'bout......now!

:thumbup:

Brehon and Poacher Thank this.
  4. Poacher

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
    Test day is here. I wake up at 0500. I didn't sleep very well. Went to sleep around 10. Up at 1200, back asleep, up at 2 back and forth all night. Not so much worried as I was anxious. Ready to get out there and get it started. If I could have called and woke everyone up to get ready to take the tests I would have. But thats not an option so I'll play this up and down game all night.
    Finally up and over to the millennium. Had an omelet for breakfast and lets just say the people in the grill were trying my patience. IDK if they realize it but if not for the drivers they wouldn't be employed. Yet they act like they are doing us a favor. Thats just the way the world is anymore.
    Get to the meeting before testing. Its pretty much just roll call and procedure of how the test will be given. Oh did I mention it was pouring. If I didn't well, it was pouring. I was third on the list. They test four at a time so I'm up to bat right off. I wouldn't want it any other way. I know me I would have worked myself up into a frenzy waiting around. I've always been the type that if we have something to do let get after it. Can't stand waiting around.
    My instructor and I get hooked up to the trailer I was going to use. It was the same trailer that I had been practicing with. Train like you fight right? Right. He drives us over to the pad I'm testing on. By this time I feel like I'm about to go into combat. There is no more time for talk, no time for last minute training. You either got it or you don't. You can either do the maneuvers or you can't. My instructor and I say our goodbyes, its just me now. I wait in the cab for what seems to be an hour. Finally I get out of the cab and stand outside. Its still raining and I don't care. I need to be out and relax as long as I can before we start this.
    The tester comes out we exchange pleasantries, joke about the rain, how its such a pretty day. First thing is first we start with the pretrip. I get coupling area, and trailer. I wanted the whole thing. Starting at a different point could thrown me off. Nailed the coupling area. I went through it knew that I got everything but went back and went through everything in my head again, this concludes the coupling area. On to the trailer bam, bam, bam things are just clicking. Get everything done and again I go through the whole thing in my head again. Touching everything as I go back over it, this concluded the trailer inspection.
    Move on to the backing. I do my straightline backing no problem. Then I get the passenger side offset. It went well just go by the numbers and take it easy. I put the rear of the trailer in the box set my breaks and went for my first get out on look. I didn't need it so much to see where my trailer was. I needed it to get out of the cab and let some stress go. Back in the cab and finish the maneuver. I put the truck in the center lane again to be set up for my last maneuver. Get of of the truck and listen to my instructions. I get the drivers side parallel. This is my weakest maneuver. I pulled the truck into position close my eyes play every move in my head before I start. Put the truck in gear and start. My angle looks good coming into the box. Not deep not shallow. I watch my tandem until its time to start pushing the front of the trail over. I make that cut get about half way through that step, set my brakes and use my first get out and look. Everything is looking pretty good. Get back in and continue pushing the front over. It gets to the point that I need to start getting back under it. I cut hard to the right to bring the front of my tractor around, a few more feet and I know I'm running out of space in the back. But all I have to do it cut my wheels to the left hard, pull forward and put all of the truck in the box. I do exactly that and its perfect. In all of my practicing I never did a prettier parallel. The truck was centered front and back and side to side. Get out use my last get out and look, I wanted to do a backflip. We all know I can't so I didn't. Jump back in and blow my horn. DONE AND DONE!!!

Now its time for the road test. We head out turned left out of Prime and got on 65 North. Turned west on 44. On 44 I did a few lane changes. Got off about 4 or 5 miles down the road. Got off at that exit and headed back south. Took a right and drop that road all the way back past Prime. All the time he's asking me what this sign said and what that sign said. I think I messed up on one. There was no weight limit posted. He asked me what the weight limit was. I said I hope at lease 80,000. LOL Went back into an industrial park and did my emergency stop. Finished up with that and headed back towards Prime. I knew I had passed so far. Everything was smooth, I did grind gears one time but I got them in there with a little force. It was all nerves, nothing about technique. On the way back pulling out of the main entrance of Prime a woman in a SUV pulled out in front of me. Not just a little to close, it was a lot to close. I knew she was going to do it too. So I was prepared, no big deal. My evaluator was mad. Mad at her not at me. He said that right there could have cost me the test if I didn't handle it right. Lord I would have been beyond mad if I had failed because of her.

We get parked back on the testing pad. He looks over at me and says "Welcome to Prime" I have wanted to hear those words for so long now. As some of you know I almost gave up on ever coming back to Prime. I'm so glad I did. My evaluator said that was absolutely one of the best tests he's ever given. I missed 9 point on everything. One point on the inspection, zero points on backing, and eight on the road test. Inspection I forgot to say reflective tape on the DOT bumper. Road test was stuff like blinker being on to long, didn't put it on quick enough. One turn I did cut a little short.
    But hey 9 points over all three tests isn't to bad at all.

TRIFECTA!!!!!!!!
    Show me the money. Now on to TNT.

Straight Stacks, Brehon and Highway101 Thank this.
  5. Poacher

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
    I tested yesterday. Got my gold badge brother. I'm headed to Cali tonight. About to climb in the sleeper and get some rest.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  6. 2500HDRob

2500HDRob Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    USA
    Congrats! Been following your thread and stoked to know testing went great!

Poacher Thanks this.
  7. Poacher

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
    DocMartin got a trifecta too! Congratulations brother.

Brehon Thanks this.
  8. Poacher

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
    Thanks man. I'll be reading about you getting a trifecta before you know it.

9. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    Congratulations on the CDL. Now you get to learn how to drive a truck!

10. Poacher

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
    Thanks man. I'm trying to get out there. Still waiting on the load to get here. My FM said it was 9 hours out. That was at 1700.

11. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Congrats!!!

Poacher Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.