Starting with Con-way

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by doitright100%, May 8, 2015.

1. doitright100%

doitright100% Bobtail Member

May 8, 2015
    Im a recent CDL class grad, 45yrs old. Changing careers. Any feedback on Con-way? Training, Management, Pay....ETC.
    Im bringing along a medium sized suitcase for my drive training. Hoping this will be cool with the trainer I get. Dont want to take up too much space.
    Thank you for any feedback you can give!
    Be safe out there!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Welcome to TTR!

I started at 46 years old. Went to KLLM with a friend from CDL school. He brought three large duffle bags, I had a sleeping bag, one duffle and a personal bag with laptop, a few DVDs, all my paperwork, chargers, etc

My trainer gave me half of the ample storage space of a Freightliner. His trainer made him keep all his stuff on his top bunk!

I trained for 6 weeks. It can seem, like a long time to be cramped in a truck with a stranger, away from home and family. But after you pass and get out on your own for a while. That six weeks will seem like just a blip on your truckin' career timeline.

Mikeeee

4. mtgmaker

mtgmaker Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would use a duffle versus a suitcase as a suitcase is rigid and you can make the duffle fit the spot you are given.

Pmracing Thanks this.
  5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Con-Way is a good place to get your start -- might even be worth sticking around if you happen to live in an area they have good freight.

I also would recommend a large duffle bag. Worst case scenario you have a tall pillow on your bunk instead of a rigid box. An army duffle bag, a laptop bag, and a soft overnight bag to take to showers (bonus points if you can fit it inside your duffle). Pack light; you won't need a towel (unless you're a germophobe like @joseph1135 ) -- Con-way provides clean towels at terminals and so do the major truck stops.

Once you get on your own there will be plenty of space and plenty of things you'll want to fill it, but while training your finisher should have everything needed to do the job.

6. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    one item in the top ten most important items, flip flops for the shower!

I was placed with a trainer that lived only an hour away from my home. He needed to see the doc so I got a weekend of home time as well.

Mikeeee

7. memberview

memberview Bobtail Member

May 17, 2015
    Welcome, good luck with training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.