Staying fit and healthy OTR

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by John Dewart, Feb 11, 2016.

1. John Dewart

John Dewart Medium Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    Hey everyone, I figured I'd share my piece of advice on losing a couple pounds and maintaining med cards. I know it can be rough out there trying to keep the pounds off. Or if you already have them, trying to get em off!
    As a bit of a back ground, I'm a big guy, about 6'4 and was at 325. Now I'm at 296, and it took me about 7-8 weeks to get there.

Well the first thing today I wanna share is your diet. How many of you love beef, fired food and soda? Probably a lot of you. I used to, until I started seeing the effects it had. Well some of you may know, beef is extremely fatty and full of calories. Even the most lean beef contain many many more calories than chicken. First things first, drop the beef, go over to chicken. Not fried chicken either! Grilled chicken. Lots of veggies. No extra sauces either cheaters!

Drop the French fries, potato wedges and all the above that are fried. Fried food contains tons of grease and empty calories, along with salt and all they do is jack up your blood pressure and retain water weight. Then what do we do for sides? Well go get an apple or a banana, and I don't wanna hear you can't get them I see them at almost every single loves, ta or pilot on the road.

Drop the soda. A 12oz can of soda contains almost 10% of your daily calorie intake. Just a 12oz. Now those big ### cups of soda I see you guys refilling to the top with no ice contains #### near half your daily calorie intake. It's full of sugar and not good if your trying to prevent weight gains. I drink water, more water, and when I get sick of drinking a two gallons of water a day, I drink vitamin water or naked juices. Once a day at the most for those though.

My diet contains nothing crazy, no going out of your way to get food or restock the fridge. I'm busy as hell, and I run team, we have no time to go shopping every few days.

For breakfast, I usually eat two pieces of fruit, a couple hard boiled eggs and maybe a milk.

For lunch, aka my 30, I find a subway, or if I can't find one of those I try and find a Wendy's, as thy have awesome salads and grilled chicken go wraps that are delicious and only 1.89. Also they have about 300 calories each and I usually eat about two.

For dinner, nice and cheap and easy, I eat two pbj sandwiches. A pbj doesn't contain more than 259 calories on white bread. So between all three meals, if I'm lucky to get, I stay well under 2000 calories.

Honestly the biggest difference I saw was by dropping beef soda and fried foods. It was crazy. Dropped 15 pounds In a month. I maintained that and started working out and saw an even bigger drop.

My workout isn't anything crazy either, I'll break it down. I work out every other day before we hit the showers.

I have one dumbbell in my truck. I have 50 pounder.
    First number is sets, second is reps.

2x20 reps of curls each arm

2x10 French curls each arm

2x10 bench press each arm (can't think of the name) I lay down on a set of drives if I'm bob tailing, and go to town, or use my bed. Or an empty trailer, or a flatbed.

2x15 shoulder press' each arm

2x40 two handed curl

2x50 squats with weight in hand.

And then I take my weight, put it in my back pack and walk around the truck stop while I talk on the phone to help me forget it's there. My old lady just keeps talking so it's very easy to walk around for an hour. And when I'm done, I'm usually drenched in sweat. Not sure if it's from the walking or me enduring 21,000 questions but hey it works.

I'm not saying go start with a 50lb weight, many people have a hard time curling that with two hands. I've been lifting weights for years before I got into a truck. With a little discipline, mixed with effort and common sense you can definitely shred some pounds. Don't worry about people talking #### or staring, let them sit their chunky ##### in there seat and watch you reach your goal. Don't grab a 10 pound weight either. Grab something that's decently difficult to lift and grow into it. Then drop that thing off at home and grab a bigger one. Your first month you will see some pretty incredible results if you do it religiously, and if you stick to it you can get to wear you want to be.

If you have any specific questions, or ideas feel free to message me, I'll do what I can to help.

Have a good one and stay safe!
    Big John

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Sweet man, keep it up!!! Pretty much avoiding all sugar is the ultimate goal. But with these days, they have sugar pretty much in any food possible. Personally I try not to eat, while my clock is running or I would snack on fruits or veggies. And I only eat garbage food, on special occasions.

FLYMIKEXL and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    Yea sugar is definitely evil. Along with empty calories. Which is usually found in stuff with tons of sugar, how convenient. As a big guy though I have to salt was my biggest enemy. After cutting that crap out I'm at a normal blood pressure level. I really don't know how some guys get med cards, I understand the blood pressure mess, and I could've taken em but I just cut the salt out and dropped it enough to get a 2 year card instead of a 3 month one lol

5. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Some people would rather swallow 10 pills a day rather than avoiding steak on Wednesdays.

6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Beef isn't bad it's the portion sizes that's out of control. It contains many healthy fats and acids that are good for brain health.
    Chicken isn't all that great, I don't know if you've ever seen the way the factory farms raise em up.
    I carry a grill on the truck and many nights make a veggie/fish filet foil packet.

Not trying to knock holes in your post but I am a natural grass fed beef producer.

Congrats on the weight loss and healthy choices! Keep it up! Many many more of these drivers need to follow suit.

7. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    I will never understand that. I hate medicines. The side effects are worse than the original symptom! Oh you have a head ache, take these; but by the way you can get develop stomach cancer heart cancer dick cancer hair cancer and everything else under the sun. But hey at least you don't have a headache.

8. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    Your right, but what GOOD beef is sold at a truck stop, I don't mean to sound like a dick lol but ive found nothing good from a cow or pig at a truck stop

9. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    This post is about trying to stay healthy without having to go to Walmart or grocery stores, just what's available in the stop. Now if we take Walmart and a stove into the scenario I would redo it for sure

10. Cottonmouth85

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Nothing 'good' is sold at truck stops haha you right bout that. It's all junk they push on us.

Gotta bring your own

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  11. Cottonmouth85

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    My bad, brother. Hard to do on whats avaliable at truck stops for sure but you're definitely on the right track.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.