Steam cleaning an engine and under the truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lepton1, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The truck I purchased is in serious need of cleaning thick layers of oil from the engine and back through the drive train. Electrical and air lines are thick with oil from an oil pan gasket leak I fixed on day one.

The 5th wheel should also be thoroughly cleaned. I'm based in OKC. The only steam cleaning services I see are auto detail shops.

Where do you go for this kind of service? Or do you do it yourself?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    This one of those things that needs to be done, its gonna get really messy and take some time, but is really better if you do it your self.

You can rent a pressure wash machine for pretty cheap.
    get a propane fired heat and gas powered pump unit. Any good tool rental place should have them.

Go buy a cheap garden spray tank at a place like lowes and 3 or 4 gallons of simple green cleaner, also pick up a deck brush.

Now the only thing you need to work out is the place and what you can do with the toxic waste your going to create.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    There is a truck detail shop in OKC, was off s MacArthur ,about 11th , ask a truck dealer.

wore out and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Start off ez.....swing thru a beacon and let do their cheapie quickly engine wash.....you'll b surprised how much they can get.....then ##### it ain't right....and they'll get some more.....?then hit a local coin op w/truck bay......waste a gallon of simple green.....really spray down the bad spots....rinse repeat....that really ought do ya

6. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    OKC Truck Detail. Found 'em. I will swing by as soon as time allows and report on my experience.

7. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
  8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Have taken cars to a car wash to remove the majority of the mess, what's is left behind is a different job. I'd look for a truck wash to do the same. might even pay someone else to do it at a truck wash.. twice, maybe a third once inspected.

9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I would do this by myself, but the amount of oil dried onto EVERYTHING under the truck is truly amazing. Better to have someone else do it the first time and let them deal with the Hazmat issues.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I have oil caked so badly onto the back of the head on my engine I don't think its coming off unless I sandblast it.

Dave_in_AZ, thejackal and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I hear you. I want to get this truck to pristine clean so I can closely monitor leaks. It's also necessary so I can start chasing air line and electrical issues. Right now everything is hidden under at least an inch of caked on oil.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.