Steer axle weight issue

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Robert kinkaw, Jul 8, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There should be a air suspension gauge that shows pressure on the bags at least the drives. If you are pushing say 50 pounds a bag it's a safe bet you are 34K

Now, research this carefully and verify with a cat scale so you know exactly what your bags will tell you. )And mark that guage with different posiitions

I cannot recall the last time I gave any particular #### about the weights up on the steer provided I had tires with good big weight capacity under there just in case i ran into a DOT having a bad day and wanting to write.

Robert kinkaw Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Robert kinkaw

Robert kinkaw Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2016
    No, only cab and rear air ride

4. Robert kinkaw

Jul 8, 2016
    No, it's in a Volvo shop now, will suggest that. Thanks

5. Robert kinkaw

Jul 8, 2016
    No, only cab, drive and rear air air

6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Are you using the same trailer all the time?

If it is a different trailer, does it have a 36" or a 42" Kingpin?

Have you ever weighed your tractor axles individually when you first bought it and compared it to the present weight.

Have you checked that for some reason the fuel tanks haven't moved from (vibration, loose tank straps) forward and put weight on your steers?

Robert kinkaw Thanks this.
  7. Robert kinkaw

Jul 8, 2016
    I also have tires and suspension rated for 12500. This issue just boggles the mind. Volvo has it now and has contacted tech support to try and solve the problem. Expensive attempt but better than having a truck that is running good, looks good, has been taken care of but is only good for going to the store! Lol. Thanks for the reply

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Robert kinkaw

Jul 8, 2016
    Using different trailers but all the same company. Never made a difference before.
    Have looked for any signs of anything coming loose and sliding forward to no avail. Have owned the truck for 4 years and never had this problem. Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated

9. Aaabbbccc

Aaabbbccc Light Load Member

No one has mentioned trying a different scale and see if it's the same.

Also , I've weighed many empty trailers for my company, same manufacturer, same specs, different model years, and found differences up to 1000 lbs from trailer to trailer.

10. Robert kinkaw

Jul 8, 2016
    LOL! I left them at the Walcott, IA T/A. The biggest truck stop in the world for obvious reasons.

11. nutcase

nutcase Light Load Member

May 2, 2010
    Meridian, ID
    I don't know if the ride height on the tandems would affect steer axle weight that much, but the leveling valve could be bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.