Steering gear box leaking

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Oscar the KW, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    It's a TRW box has the number 4648307 on it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lastgoodusername

lastgoodusername Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    trw has some really good pdf manuals if you want to tackle the seals yourself . just replaced one on my truck about two weeks ago. that may or may not be the part number. if memory serves me correct, the tag is on the frame side, where you can't see it, and that may be a casting number. couple hour job to diy. a reman should be able to be found for around 5 bills. hope this helps , johnny

4. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I got a TRW on my Freightliner. Replaced the seals on the shaft once. They lasted about 6 months. Then just put on a reman. Like another poster stated, alot of shops will not do the seal for the legal issues if the seal fails and you wreck..

5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Oscar the KW Thanks this.
  6. Oscar the KW

May 19, 2011
    I talked to Kenworth today about replacing the steering box, they have two different ones that are both remaned, the first is a paccar reman for around $689, the second is a Mascot which looks to be owned by Meritor for $490. They said they normally sell and install the Mascot far more than the other and have very little problems with those units, both come with a one year warranty. Anyone have any experience with the Mascot/Meritor brand?

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    We install Mascot all the time. Pretty reliable. No problems with warranty, if any.

8. Oscar the KW

May 19, 2011
    Its going to get what came on it, out here in North Carolina and it is just leaking to bad to try to get home and change it myself. Thats what I get for trying to get a few more miles out of it before I replace it, now I can pay KW in Greensboro to do it.

9. Oscar the KW

May 19, 2011
    How long of a job is it to change the steering box? They are telling me here that it is a 3 1/2hr job.

10. Don2WS

Don2WS Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    even if the pitman arm was stuck on there good it should not take 3 hours to remove connections, 3 nuts, the bolt on the pitman arm and mark and remove the shaft

11. Oscar the KW

May 19, 2011
    Ended up only taking two hours, and what a difference a new box makes, I don't ever remember this thing turning this easy.

skellr and Blind Driver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.