Still on the hunt!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by StolenSoul, May 28, 2015.

1. StolenSoul

StolenSoul Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2014
    South Lyon, MI
    So, I'm on the HUNT! I'm hunting for a company that's worth being in...I know it's unheard of right? I've been driving for almost 2 years now and still haven't really found a company where I really fit in ya know. Every company has their way of doing things and I just don't seem to be able to bend to some of the things these companies ask. Now I'm gonna make this simple, I don't want recruiters barkin up my tree here, I've been lied to enough (again another big shocker, huh!) I don't want nay sayers! I want honest opinions from people who have worked for the company they are suggesting. I want real experiences hence why I said no recruiters lol. But, I guess I won't win that one!

So here is what I'm looking for:

1) A RELIABLE COMPANY
    2) I'm looking to be a company driver, I'm not looking to be a L/P right now due to my current family situations.
    3) I want to run somewhere between 2,400 and 3,000 miles a week. (I want to feel like I actually earn my pay instead of sitting around making nothing)
    4) I want to make atleast 0.41 cents a mile. (negotiable)
    5) A well maintained truck. (Don't want to go back to a company where they cant even tell you when your next PM will be.)
    6) Preferably a newer truck ya know 2011 and newer, but if it's well maintained guess it don't matter right?
    7) Prompt home time (meaning you get me home on time as much as possible)
    8) Decent dispatch (I don't want to be arguing with my dispatch and his supervisor on a regular basis)
    9) The less I'm asked to run over my HOS the better (because I will tell you right now! I WILL NEVER RUN OVER MY HOS FOR A LOAD OR ANYTHING ELSE AT THAT MATTER LESS YOU ARE PAYING THE FINES AND GOING TO JAIL IN MY PLACE)
    10) A planner and dispatch who know how to plan a load.
    11) I would really like a company that allows me to pick my own schedule, you know like how Schneider does for their company drivers. (Telling you the company when I will be ready for my next load and what not but, it's not a perfect world so this may not happen unless I move back to Schneider lol)
    12) I'm not picky to much about where I drive. I will drive pretty much anywhere cept the NorthEast (nothing past PA), The less I have to be in Chicago or surrounding cities the better. Im sure I will find more locations I don't like as I get more exp.
    13) I like to run 3-4 weeks and take 3-4 days off. (so this is also something I want lol)

I live in South East, Michigan by 96/275. Just North of Detroit by about 40 mins. So, please driver's share your experiences and let me hear what you've seen that makes it a good company. I know I've made a list that I'm sure 90% of the industry wants and is hard to achieve unless your an O/O but I'm flexible and believe that there is a company out their that can do these things!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    How many jobs have you had in two years?

Dinomite Thanks this.
  4. StolenSoul

Nov 24, 2014
    South Lyon, MI
    Not to many. Got my CDL through CR England, moved to Schneider (that was my first year) then spent my second year with my current company

5. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Try tankers....plenty of that where you are. Gonna have to get over that Chicago thing though. Move up...not sideways.

StolenSoul Thanks this.
  6. StolenSoul

Nov 24, 2014
    South Lyon, MI
    hahaha, ya I know the whole chicago thing was never my favorite. With where I live it's almost a necessity to have to drive and deliver in Chicago.

7. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you want to stay driving dry van give Gordon Transport Inc (GTI) a call. Otherwise what 77Martin said holds true. Also about Chicago...it ain't so bad once you really get it figured out but that takes time and they are a rather unavoidable hub. You can avoid NYC...Chicago, notsomuch.

TruckDuo and StolenSoul Thank this.
  8. StolenSoul

Nov 24, 2014
    South Lyon, MI
    Yea I'll get over it eventually. I find midnight hours to be a delight in Chicago at least lol

9. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I kinda don't think you're gonna start at $0.41/mile with two years experience, though...I was at $0.415 at Gordon with 9 years. (They're a good company but I wanted to lease so I went with a smaller outfit to do that)

10. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Why not look into doing LTL ?

[​IMG]

11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I'd say readjust yourself in flexibility. No company nor driver are perfect.. Bend ..

Dinomite and TruckDuo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.