still white smole after egr cooler/ overflow cap popping off

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by fredrd, Nov 23, 2015.

1. fredrd

fredrd Light Load Member

May 10, 2012
    '12 maxxforce 10

Blowing white smoke 2 weeks after egr cooler replaced . 2nd cooler. Hose from overflow tank to egr cooler keeps leaking at egr cooler fitting, has always leaked . After this last cooler was replaced, fitting was replaced and resealed, it stopped leaking for about 3 weeks, now its back.

More concerning, radiator cap has popped off twice. Dealer pressure tested system and it popped off at 9psi looking for coolant leak. Previous to that it popped off , i just thought the dealer never tightened it.
    What are they missing? Could it be a head gasket? Truck doesn't overheat and runs ok.

Replaced with updated crank case breather inlet due to turbos coking and passing oil. Turbo (it seems) has recently been making a high pitch whine under load, comes and goes. They inspected the hp turbo and said it was not coked and spins freely, but i still think i'm using oil, no external leaks.

Dealer wants to replace the intake hoses to see if unusual intermittent whine goes away

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If your engine is over 240 hp it should have the upper intercooler. It may be cracked and allowing boost pressure into the cooling system. It will also allow coolant into the intake as well. The aftertreatment injector is also coolant cooled and may be allowing coolant in to the exhaust. Are you losing coolant?

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  4. fredrd

fredrd Light Load Member

May 10, 2012
    hey Heavyd. its 350 hp, i might be losing trace amounts of coolant but i haven't had to add any since the egr cooler was replaced. Before that i was long 3/4 gallon a day. no external leaks except that fitting on the egr cooler to overflow reservoir. Why does that fitting keep leaking and what do you think of my overflow cap popping off at 9psi? that worries me

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That should be a 15 psi cap. 9 psi hot is about normal for those. With the coolant fitting, are you sure the fitting is leaking at the threads into the cooler, or is the hose at the fitting? Try changing the hose with a new clamp and see if that stops that leak. How bad is the white smoke? Is it maybe only condensation/water vapour since it is getting colder out now?

6. damil

damil Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    is it smoke...or steam?

7. fredrd

fredrd Light Load Member

May 10, 2012
    It's is the fitting, hose was changed and clamp was changed from spring style to worm style. I'm pretty sure it's smoke, does it when it's warm out. Truck had been sitting for 3 weeks. It's not terrible but I see it out of the side mirror. In the past before the other cooler or egr valve was done it would pour out like a fire extinguisher.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Could also be fuel from the aftertreatment doser.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.