stone securment

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by tsavory, May 16, 2014.

1. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Sorry if this posts more than once tapatalk said it posted but i cant find it.

I just picked up a load of stone trying to find best way to secure it.[​IMG]

Criss crossing the straps put them over so many edges I cant protect them all plus when tighting them it pulls to much and might break them they are thin slabs.

Dont trust the way this guy did a load. Whats to stop them from sliding out the sides?[​IMG] seen one guy do the on his load like mine but did not seem right to me then seen this one at a truck stop and thought wow what the heck!

This what I have now but the edge protection seems to slip and I cant tighten down much without breaking the chicken wire. [​IMG]

Just seems no good way to strap it and chains will just bust the stone. I sure dont think just strapping the pallets is good with these top heavy standing slabs

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    None of them posted. They went into moderation, meaning that they were waiting on approval. I approved this one and deleted the other two. You should be good to go now. Sorry for the delay.

tsavory and Cetane+ Thank this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I use to haul that very load out of Clayton, Id. I used chains. If I remember, I chained the product, 4 pallets, together, like a wrap-around. That would secure the stone and keep it on the pallet/trailer. Then I chained in a normal manner. Not really tight, since each pallet weighed 4000 lbs, right ? Clayton, Id.-Long Beach, Ca. Easy as pie !

baha and tsavory Thank this.
  5. tsavory

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Thanks hmm wonder why they went to moderation never seemed to have before. Any ways thanks a bunch for getting it though.

d o g Thanks this.
  6. tsavory

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Yeah weight is about right tried a chain but I broke a slab not even half as tight as I usually tighten slabs might work better if I had ratchet binders instead of snap binders.
    Meshoppen, PA -Park City, IL

7. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Those are a nuisance to tie down, with all the sharp edges. You do the best you can, use straps, and drive like you've got eggs on the trailer. Only time I'd chain is if you were running a trip chain around the lead or tail pallets, or you're hauling a boulder. That stone won't stand up to chaining unless it's really thick, as you found out.

I know that exact stone yard you were in as well, buddy of mine lives a few miles from there and I've passed it hundreds of times.

tsavory Thanks this.
  8. tsavory

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Yeah it just cant handle much pressure. Even called safety and asked was told do your best no good way to do those loads. Hmm good thing I have a bunch of extra straps lol.

9. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I dont haul that stuff, so can't be of much help. But i just wanted to commend you on asking, both on here and at your company, instead of just winging it and messing it up.
    Wish there were more like yourself.

Martin

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    can't remember where, but there's another place in idaho. south of 84. they ship them in skeleton wooden boxes. 1 X 4 wood i think they used. but it was all boxed. can't think of a name.

you put a chain around the front and a chain around the back. 4 pallets up front and 4 pallets in the back. that was a full 48k pounds.

been seeing more of those loads the op has lately. hope i never haul one of them.

11. tsavory

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Safety and securment is a top priority to me. Most loads no biggy but every now and again I find I one that trends to make me say what the heck. Thanks for your support.

Lepton1 and leftlanetruckin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.