Strobe Emergency Light?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Germanudo, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Germanudo

Germanudo Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2014
    WV
    Yesterday I was driving at day light down Interstate 8 when I saw a bright light flashing . An RV had an emergency and he had what looks like a flashlight lying right next to the tire. That thing was so bright, I could see it from a long distance away. At first it looked like the flasher on a Road safety truck but the closer I got the smaller the light got,but still very bright (and alarming) . Does any body know where I can order one? That is the kind of light every Truck should have, much better then just these stupid Triangles, because every one was moving to the right lane way, before coming to the disabled RV. It was kinda like a strobe light in a flashlight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
  4. wesland24

wesland24 Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Macon,GA
    I got mine through Matco tools the brand is stream light it's called stinger led it is by far the brightest light I've ever had it is rechargeable and comes With a dock to mount to dash and an extra battery it is pricey but worth it to me

5. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Just a hunch, but that light only got attention and everyone moved over because it was out of place, unusual, etc. Just like triangles, if use of those lights become a common occurrence with every car, truck , and rv that is broken down on the shoulder of the interstate, it will loose its attention-getting ability. How many times do you pass an emergency vehicle, even wreckers and road maintenance workers with bright lights encompassing the vehicle and still see folks not get over? Those lights have lost their effectiveness.

Another example of something out of the ordinary working but soon loosing effectiveness is unmanned patrol cars sitting in the median of an interstate. When those vehicles were first used, EVERYBODY slowed down. Didn't take long before folks realized that car isn't going to chase the unlawful and the evil-doers resume their business as usual. Wouldn't surprise me if those marked cars eventually got vandalized.

6. herbiemin

herbiemin Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    x2 on the Streamlight. I have a Streamlight Strion LED it has 3 different levels of brightness as well as the strobe. Extremely bright and rechargeable. Love it...

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Something to be aware of......

In your area they may allow it. Here in Maine, a flashing light used on a vehicle (unless amber) will require a permit to use. The reason amber is permitted is that most of the plow trucks have them for a warning and tow trucks here are allowed to have them.

In California, a flashing amber light you must yield to. Here in Maine we are to observe they are there but no special driving is required (IE pull over and give right of way per california laws).

8. jbee

jbee Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    NC
    They also have "Wand" covers for the Strions and other Streamlight brands ( I have a Stinger that has been with me 10+ years)

And FWIW, regardless of what state you're in, if you should break down in a precarious position, on the side of any road at night, any additional warning, (That doesn't flat out blind someone) that makes you and the vehicle more visible, provides more awareness and warning to others, I don't know of any officer that would cite you for it.

It could very well save someone's life

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  9. driver902

driver902 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2015
    any good tactical light has a flashing function on it. i got a good one at batter plus for a good price.

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.