Student recruiter at Conway TL

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by D33RHUNT3R, Mar 23, 2015.

1. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Nw Arkansas
    Anyone know the name of a good one to talk too ?

Indiana RED Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    You are making a big mistake if you go to Conway Truckload; $450.00- $750.00 a week pay (for upwards of 100 hours a week of work) then subtract expensive medical bennies from that.
    Don't be fooled by the glitter, nor the Conway Truckload 'Defenders' (they have their own agenda, and it has nothing to do with assisting others such as yourself in any way).

You need to go to your nearest truckstop (Petro, Loves, Flying J, Pilot, TA, etc.) and personally speak with as many Conway Truckload drivers as possible.

Incidentally, if you have no other choice, remember; all these Mega Trucking companies are all the same; no such thing as a 'good starter company'.

Also, contrary to the mega trucking company propaganda that pay gets better with 'experience', just remember;
    Not by much.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Mike777 Thanks this.
  4. Thanks was gonna get some info on them but the gal wants me to head to AZ for orientation,I just might have saved me some headaches

5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I averaged ~$1000/week gross for ~60 hours/week of work. Some weeks much better, some a little worse.

If you count laying in your bunk watching tv while waiting to be unloaded "work" then maybe you'll hit 100 hours every now and then, but Joe & I disagree there. His "problem" (imo) was that he wanted to be home to see his family all the time and that's just not a good fit for OTR trucking. Plan to be out 3 weeks or more at a time then home only a couple days...

Conway Truckload is a good place to get your year or two imo.

To the OP: I don't think which recruiter you get matters. Just tell 'em to send the recruitment bonus to surfer joe

Starboyjim and paul_4lp Thank this.
  6. Hey how's going in my last company I was taking home $1440,less was $1140 a week,then when Prime made our company an advance fleet I was taking $286 to $695 a week I don't sleep much,I drove 640 to 678 a day right down to the minute,I am not a slacker I busted my rear for this company,they gave our miles away to theirs,I just don't want to go thru this crap again.

7. D33RHUNT3R

Jun 2, 2012
    Nw Arkansas
    ya probably not the best company for a solo driver .. but for a starter company that allows pets and runs teams its probably in the top 3

8. D33RHUNT3R

Jun 2, 2012
    Nw Arkansas
    :biggrin_25523:

9. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    DeerHunter, I'm sure someone can recommend a recruiter. Hang in there. Like DoubleYellow said....it doesn't really matter. You'll probably get more accurate info here.

pattyj Thanks this.
  10. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I drove for nearly two years at Con-Way TL.

-XM Radio in Trucks for free

-They will Pay for showers (I showered every day)

-Plan your own Routes.

-Plan your own Fuel Stops out of their list (Pretty extensive list, mostly Pilot / Flying J which is fine.)

-The terminals are fairly clean, showers at all 5 of them.

-The office folk are nice to speak with.

-Nice Equipment. We started in a Peterbilt 387 With 287k on it which was great, at that mileage most of the gremlins are gone. We were 'upgraded' to a brand new Kenworth t680 after about two months which was still carrying the gremlins. We were putting miles on the Pete to fast for their truck program.

-The miles are there. Even as team which Con-Way certainly is not focused on, the miles are there. We averaged 6k as team drivers, and we stayed on the road. My teamate quit to go back to his old job (He'd been layed off) Don't blame him, he's making twice as much as I ever did. Lol.

-Once I went Solo I was averaging about 2000 Miles if I was doing TSC loads mostly. (This will happen to you if you go to Waco or Nebraska most likely) and about 2800 a week if I was rolling. The length of haul is usually pretty decent. And even on the short loads like the TSC ones I was making good money. Usually 2k miles in a week of Tractor Supply loads would give me a better paycheck than 2800 on the road. (Avg. About 1,000$ net)

Now I stayed on the road, when I quit I had 30+ home time days saved up. My Tax information stated that I grossed 58,848$. I was not at the top of the pay scale, and so far as I know I wasn't getting any particularly generous bonuses.

There are good and bad things at every company, Con-Way isn't a bad place, but if it works for you it doesn't have to be the best. People are inclined to complain loudly and be content quietly keep that in mind.

Most of the guys I went to Con-Way orientation with are still there. With all that flag waving done I will say these things:

-Lots of paperwork to keep track of.
    -Super Single tires (I hate Super Singles, I hate hate hate them.)
    -Crummy locks
    -Have to request lay over pay within 24 hours or you lose it. I never actually lost any cause my dispatcher fought for me but bleh.

Oh, and the recruiter we talked to was Susan. I don't know if she's still there or not.

double yellow and D33RHUNT3R Thank this.
  11. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    DY has a good take on this. Like D33rhunter says, top 3. I drove for them, bought a truck and leased to them, doing MUCH better than Surfer says. Phoenix does a lot of orientation, buys meals, provides a nice room, some pay, forget the number. Doesn't matter. Works for me...I recommend. They are a trucking company, but they try to get it right.

D33RHUNT3R and Mike777 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.