Stupid question about pulling hopper.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by 379exhd, Apr 5, 2013.

1. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    MN only allows 80k on 5.

Except in the winter with a permit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Derick2005KW

Derick2005KW Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2016
    I pulled a hopper for a little bit but the outfit I was with had about the cheapest freight I couldn't hang with that so I quit ......plus the dispatcher was a dick most of the stuff they had me pull was like freaking $10 a ton I didn't mind the work I enjoyed the hopper don't get me wrong I liked the work but the people I was with paid crappy so I quit hope your with a better outfit than I was with

4. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    $10/ton isn't bad...if it's going 50 miles

I was offered 25/ton on fertalizer from catoosa to aurora last week I said what the hell happened to the $50 I used to get...they didn't have an answer gladly took the $12/ton neb city to aurora with a reload of beans in Henderson back into lincoln.

The money in grain is short haul long haul is where most go broke. Least in my area

5. deckeralliance

deckeralliance Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Generally how it is around here also. Grain is almost all that I haul, currently getting an in with a new fertilizer plant being built. I also used to work the scales and pit at a fairly large elevator in my area, and the weight limit is generally however much the scale is rated to. Where I worked it was rated to 105k, and more than a few times all the screen would show was ****** that's when they ask you to leave! Also here if DOT asks to see my tickets I always tell them just as soon as they get a warrant. It is the same as searching your vehicle. You're allowed 1000k out of the field and also 1000k on the portables, so 2000 pounds of grey area, and we don't have platforms on the route I run.Limit in IL is also 80k. Just run through early or after 5 and you wont ever see DOT. Congrats on the gig!

6. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    We get 90 on 6 axles given a 60ft span. About the longest loaded we go is 120 miles. 1000 bushels is what almost everything is figured on for beans over 1000 on corn. Everybody around here I'd paranoid on Thursday I hit the scale at 90060lbs guy made me get off before he would scale me out over 60 ####ing pounds.

I see a lot of guys on the boards complaining about how rates are only 1.30/mile. Yea in long haul what were doing right now goes 130 miles and pays 3.00/mile loaded on 925 bushel. Yes rates are bad right now but when I can call on freight loads that pay a lot less than the grain I haul I suppose I can't complain. I have 2 major elevators I pull 98% of my revenue from and it seems as though they're not buying or selling much right now so it's tough to say how the rest of the year is going to go. I know I've got about 2 weeks of work and then it's all going to be done and gone so hopefully another contract will come up so we can keep busy if not oh well I guess.

They're talking about how fuel needs to shoot up to 4.50 or 5 a gallon to make money. And I just laugh. Yep you'll get $2.00/mile but you're going to have a fuel cost of $1.00/mile and then you're still going to ##### that it doesn't pay enough to make ends meat.

It's hilarious listening to some of these grain haulers in my area. Seems like most of them claim to run for 2.25/mile one guy on beans was scaling less than 1000 bushels same run as I was and telling me how it paid 2.30/mile to the truck. I asked him what his rate was he said 18 cents. I laughed and said huh funny how you can makeep 2.30/mile on 950 bushel when I'm only making 1.62 on 1000 bushel at .18 he said it was only 45 miles...nope on the hub it was 56 one way. Makes a big difference don't it.

That's just some of the stupidity I see daily...

7. deckeralliance

deckeralliance Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I feel your pain. And prices have just gone up here the past couple days due to drought in south America. So if the weather pattern keeps up down there everyone will start moving product. And it will pick up with wheat harvest and then around July and August everyone will be trying to get cleaned out before harvest. Slowest time of year right now lol. I'm lucky I can go farm while the truck sits in the shed.

8. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    I scaled a lil north of 110k last year coming from the field. I knew I was heavy but didn't think I was that ##### heavy lol. Legal here is 90k out of the field. It's not uncommon to run between 93-98k.

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Coming off the farm, we are allowed 85 if we stay off the interstate. Everything else is 80. Its getting tougher to find anyone that will let you leave heavy

10. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    I just got the shaft last week CVA bought stock in ag mark so now ag mark is handling the computers and marketing I don't know what they're going to do rate wise they'd better stay the same or I'm getting out of grain hauling I can tell you that much...

Anyway kansas will give us 85500 on 5 6 or 7 axles we are usually allowed to leave between 86 and 89 now that the new system is being implimented I've been forewarned 85500 and not a pound over I guess with the new system it won't let them stamp the weight out.

Don't know what kansas will give somebody for harvest nebraska is 15% of your gross. 103500 on 6 axles 109250 on 7 axles from the fields. Many times I find that to be stupid gvw on most hoppers is only 75000 or 80000. With a 7 axle setup I'd tare at 31 so in theory during harvest I could load almost 80k in the wagon given it would fit. I cringe when I see 65 and it's going more than 20 miles I #### sure wouldn't load 80 and take it 75 I'd be worried about snapping my trailer in half.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.