Swift Equipment

Discussion in 'Swift' started by BeanDip, May 31, 2015.

1. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    The thing is, with camera, memory and 4g wireless technologies, the amount of physical memory on a device is really only part of the story. An hour of 720p HD video will only take just over 7GB of storage. Cheap and easy.
    BUT.... Considering the possibility of quickly uploading a 20 sec clip to a server in less than a minute on a 4g connection, the storage capacity becomes limited only by the cost of bandwidth and server storage.
    So the amount of storage ON a device is only important for storing clips when 3g/4g coverage is poor.

Cameras that allow monitoring (spying/snooping) are only limited in scope by the self control and moral fortitude of the PEOPLE doing the monitoring. If the people doing the monitoring have little regard for privacy, then the sky is the limit. And it is hard to stop a down hill slide once it picks up momentum.

spectacle13 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I think the QC is limited to 3G, but it makes little difference in the end.

And I think that is my main concern.
    Who will be watching and listening, at what times?
    And, just for the fun of it during a boring shift?

Another is like the previous post. They see you yawn and suddenly you are too tired to drive.
    Heck, I yawn an hour after I start driving sometimes simply because driving relaxes me. It's not because I am tired or lacked sleep.
    And I only have 2 hands on the wheel less than half the time. Why tire both hands at once? And I need to shift positions to keep from getting cramps.

I'm sure they could find lots of things wrong with me and my driving if they wanted to, from yawning sometimes to driving with one hand to taking a drink to changing a channel to not looking in the mirror every 5 seconds on a long lonely stretch to eating a hot dog or lighting my pipe (yes, tobacco only). OK, I think that is my personal list.

If they want robots for drivers, they should build robots to drive.
    Good luck with that notion, for the foreseeable future.

sisterannie Thanks this.
  4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

The cameras we had at my last job COULD be wiped by killing the power. Red light? Pull fuse for a second. Put back in, green light. The clips were definitely stored in volatile memory.

Also, clips are batch uploaded at a predetermined time. Ours would upload between 2 and 3 AM.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I doubt that is how Swift's cameras operate.
    It just would not make sense to allow the driver the chance of wiping every stored clip simply be removing a fuse.
    How easy would it be to simply wipe the memory every time you stopped?

I'm sorry, MsJamie, but your information seems less than useful.

6. MsJamie

How about this:

My information comes from first hand experience. I was the branch manager for a company that has these same cameras installed two years ago. I was at the regional meeting where a couple guys from DriveCam, Inc. (before they changed their name to Lytx) were answering questions about the system, and I was able to have an engineer-to-engineer talk with one of the lead design engineers. We were told that the reason they used an in vehicle trigger and volatile memory (what "doesn't make sense" to you) was to satisfy Federal and State wiretap laws.

Oh, and did I mention that I have physically pulled the fuse and had reset the camera?

The camera does report system reboots. Pull that fuse a few times too many, and Safety may be asking why. Just like the Qualcomm.

I've lived with this system. Even as a manager, I still drive full shifts. I got the reports of driver issues, and have seen the videos. I've seen this system from both sides. As a team driver, I'll have a camera installed long before you will; we get ours in phase 2. I have absolutely zero concerns about it. Why? Because my partner and I are safe drivers. I really don't care if the company sees me picking my nose or scratching my butt; we all do that. Heck, I don't care if they get a boob shot of me changing my clothes while my partner is driving; there are already boob shots of me on the internet. (No, I won't say where. There are much better looking boobs out there that are easier to find.)

The only people that are going to have problems with this system are those who routinely indulge in unsafe behavior, like texting while driving. If a camera changes their behavior, I'm all for it.

So Moose, where do you get your information?

7. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    talk about a red herring that paragraph so if I object to thedriver facing cameras then I must be a bad driver.

I guess my million plus safe miles mean squat since I object to the cameras. its like when the same people say that you're a racist when you object President Obama's policies and don't believe the right for the country.

but I guess it doesn't matter anyway since I already put in my two week notice but Hey I guess to you the reason why I quit it's because I'm an unsafe driver.

8. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    I am not thrilled about the driver facing camera being there. I am willing to take a wait and see attitude. The best that the loud naysayers have said is all conjecture, they have no or very little experience with it. @MsJamie says she has had experience with it from both sides of the view. I'll lean towards the experience, not conjecture.

A21CAV and MsJamie Thank this.
  9. MsJamie

That's not what I said. I said problems, not objections.

I hate driver facing cameras with a passion, especially in team trucks.

kutscher007 Thanks this.
  10. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    This whole controversy over the cameras has me laughing my butt off. The level of paranoia over this is on par with that one dude who posted here a year or so ago that Swift purposely issued him a purple Prostar because he was gay, removed any fasteners on the curtains so he couldn't keep them closed for privacy, and had people following him around in unmarked cars to keep an eye on him. I never laughed so hard in my life...until now.

Wow. You people must really think highly of yourselves. Like you are important or something special. Maybe you're some kind of secret government agent or something. I don't know. Here's a news flash people...Swift doesn't give a flying flip about you concerning anything other than safety. They aren't going to hire someone to specifically watch you 24/7 and count how many times you pick your nose. Or monitor the phone app to keep track of where you go on your time off. THEY DONT FREAKIN CARE!!! Get over yourselves already! Geez people. How can you not have an accident if you are constantly looking over your shoulder to see who is following you?

Look, I'm not thrilled about the driver facing camera either. I believe it is a huge intrusion on my privacy, but...when I'm parked for the night, the curtains are closed before I get ready for bed and that would cover the camera. As for the sound, I'm not doing anything for them to hear anyway. If you want to entertain a lizard, go right ahead. The camera may still be recording, but it's not going to save anything until some Werner driver backs into you. And whatever it records and saves during the day, I'm not too worried about because I'm a safe driver. And if it does pick up something I'm doing wrong, then that is an opportunity for me to improve myself.

Like I said, I don't like the driver facing cameras any more than the rest of you, but I don't think it's worth losing my mind over or quitting over it. Unless you can show me another company that pays more than I'm making now.

And lighten up people!!!

11. kutscher007

kutscher007 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    There is one thing which is a little bit unusal for me. I was looking around for an other driving job and so I asked the drivers when they parked in front of the shipper / receiver. A lot of trucks had the "SWIFT camers" installed. For me this is the SWIFT cameras are the reason to fire the company. When I talked to the drivers, I did not fiend any one which told me they don*t like this or where complaining. For me this looks a little bit like a total twisted world in the US.
    I am really wondering why no driver is complaining about the SWIFT cameras in their trucks.
    HM, what are the benefits ot the SWIFT cameras?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.