Swift Flatbed, 11 western states and Phoenix CDL training?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by GWS, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    They gave you your own hotel room I bet? Swift seems to think you have to bunk up with strangers in hotels.
    I am seriously looking at Roehl if for anything the home time they promise and have a good flatbed division hauling all sorts of interesting things.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Did you read about the home time or did a recruiter give you a number? You can opt for your own room with swift if you like, you must pay the difference but it's an option.

4. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    True. I could have stayed at another hotel and just walked over. Didn't think of that. lol
    Well best of luck GWS in whatever you decide to go with.

5. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    No thats not what I meant, same hotel but in your own room, swift cover a certain amount of that room and you cover the difference.

Hey thanks and best of luck to you as well. Hopefully I can make a solid decision and start by the first week in sept. so many pro and cons to each, need to pick the one i want to be with in the long term. Have you made a choice yet?

6. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    I haven't just yet. Hard to really know because the recruiters don't tell you everything. I'd go with what is most comfortable for you. Since you are near Phoenix, you couldn't really go wrong with either. I might go Roehl because they don't have a terminal in Portland and most of their runs are the midwest and the south. I'd like to avoid Seattle and Portland because traffic can be bad around those cities. I know it gets bad in Phoenix and LA too but the NW has the more cramped roads. The I-5 through Oregon and Washington is terrible in my opinion. Not so much in the south but once you hit the valley up into Portland it gets kinda annoying. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    GWS Thanks this.
  7. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    One thing I found after digging through companies for months is most mega starters are all about the same.
    Some pay more for training - you'll be in training for a longer period of time.
    Some have really nice equipment and pay you less.
    Some offer sign on bonuses - really it's a longevity bonus. You have to stay to get it.

Unless you can get on with a top notch company like TMC, Maverick, Melton you'll be dealing with about the same #### from what I could tell. Talked to Melton and Maverick and they move pretty slow. Takes some time to get through their rings and I just wanted to get in a truck haha

Lightside and GWS Thank this.
  8. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    Yea paid for the room and flight. The thing I noticed about system is they actually what you moving I have not sat since Ive been solo. And the home time is what you want it to be I stay out by choice 3 1/2 weeks.

Check out decker and if you want to stay out of the NW system has fleets that will keep you out

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Lightside Thanks this.
  9. Nameless One

Nameless One Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Swift ain't the greatest but I definitely know TMC, Melton or Maverick are what you call top notch.

10. Nameless One

Nameless One Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Are not top notch. Sorry.

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  11. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Whats your opinion of Roehl?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.