Swift is a good company

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by zedanny, Sep 20, 2008.

1. pawpaw

pawpaw Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Milan, NM
    Actually, Swift did not buy out Knight but they have bought a lot of companies. And with the economy going the way it is and the probability that many companies will fold after the first of the year, most shippers will be looking to the larger companies for all or most all of teir business due to the stability that will bring.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oldcornbinder

oldcornbinder Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    I completed the Lewiston Id school this year and that particular school was organized fast paced with individual issues being addressed on a one on one basis. All the instructors knew their stuff. Some presented it better than others but all got the job done. All Swift schools teach to the DOT standard but have to mold that to the state they are in. It was kinda different in Lewiston due to the states of Washington, Oregon, and Montana being right there they had to address the particular needs of those states students. After the first of the year they start a new format and curriculum, more range time and more road time.

The motel was the motel, I stayed in two different ones. The main one they had a contract with and the other was an overflow so as soon as people moved out of the contract they moved the overflow students to it. Both did the jobs, not the nicest but ok.

In short I'd send my wife or my son to it if they wanted to drive. There may be better ones out there but again this particular Swift school did a good job.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  4. oldcornbinder

Nov 10, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    Your going to get hooked up with a mentor for about six weeks then when you get back you'll have a road test to see how your skills progressed and then your own truck.

5. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Lol this name reminded me of driving the old Corn Binders back in the day
    Dam that was a rough ride :O ,
    Anyway back to topic my boy been on his on with swift about 9 months now and makes good money for a new guy.
    He is happy and gets decent miles week after week.
    Swift is like anyone else you do your job,Load and unload on time,Keep in good with your Dm/Dispatcher they will take care of the ones that take care of you.
    You get to a stop early and they ask you to shag a few trailers.
    Well dont get all pissy and ignor um do it you rub there back most the time they will rem that and take care of you in return.

All the big boys have good and bad most are generally the same I think.
    Guys keep saying good for the new guys I want to know what company the older truckers are working at?
    I

AfterShock and schristopher69 Thank this.
  6. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    That's what I understand. :Driver: :yes2557:.
    I suspect some influence from and in that fruit that doesn't fall far from the loin tree. :yes2557:
    I don't doubt that.
    Worked for me --- with an Orange color company.

Better attitudes fetch better loads better than
    bad attitudes do.
    I think.
    Exactly!
    BINGO! & Double Bullseye.
    That's worth a CEE-Gar and a half.

Raise y'all'hand(s) ----
    How many of y'all have EVER sent your dispatcher/office support, a dad-burned
    post card?
    In a trip-pack, it don't even cost nuthin'.
    'Sept for the price of said post card.

ShuX HowdY!
    We have cell phones with Digital cameras
    now-a-daze.
    Can't photos of interest be transfered to the viewer(s)?

Think "Kodak Moment"
    Without the hassle of film.
    So easy --- even a caveperson should be able
    to do that.

yuP!
    And depends, I think, on what one's definition of "good" is.

Best advice I can think of is
    consider the source
    and
    buyer -- BEWARE
    who y'all are willing to believe.
    YeAH!
    Like how long have they remained thar?
    And why?
    I'm thinkin' decades,
    for obvious reasons.

Like I've heard said,
    NO whine,
    before it's time.

Or, ...... sumthin' like that.

Memory -----
    second thang to go
    doncha know. :biggrin_2552: :biggrin_25525:

Thumper and desert_son Thank this.
  7. schristopher69

schristopher69 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Companies are simular not matter where you go. Some offer better pay, some offer better benefits, some offer brand new trucks. Do the pros and cons, and usually they are the same. I don't work for swift, but work for a simular company, privately owned though. Through reading these messages, it seems swift is not as bad as people lead me to believe.

8. desert_son

desert_son Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Liberty Hill, Tx
    I heard that there is a "family" connection between Jerry and the Knight family.

9. oldcornbinder

Nov 10, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    Yep, that's my inspiration, perspiration, constipation.....:biggrin_25525:

I drove those as a kid in the hay fields, had to kill the mice and other vermin in the cab before the start of each season then get some brakes on them and then hoped the steering would hold together coming up out of the fields.:biggrin_2551:

Lived through it and now have a small collection in the back lot I'm working on just to remind me of my youth.

10. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    If you just graduated from a schoo, then all you have to do is pass all of the normal bs, then your off 6 weeks with a mentor...

11. easeway

easeway Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2008
    NC

What is the normal bs at swift? Dot exam & drug test & then road test, followed by a company orientation..........or do they have some other hoops to jump through like SNI.?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.