Swift King of Prussia PA?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by fjrgerry, Jan 10, 2016.

1. fjrgerry

fjrgerry Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I'm in research mode for a CDL-A truck driving career and drove by a building in King of Prussia the other day and noticed a bunch of Swift trailers, but I can't find this location on their site. Anyone have any information on this location? Working from such a close location would be great as a new driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Its a customer site . The PA terminal is in Jonestown east of Harrisburg . Actually its in Lickdale, PA which was named after a guy named Dale who smiled all the time .

4. fjrgerry

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Aha! Does that mean if you worked for Swift but on a dedicated route you could be based out of KOP?

5. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    You can be based at any terminal in the country but initially your home terminal would probably be Jonestown . The King of Prussia site is probably one of our customers who do primarily drop and hook freight .

You may know what that is and apologies if it seems like I'm talking down to you . Drop and hook is where you take an empty trailer to a customer , drop it and hook to a preloaded trailer and get on down the road . With a few exceptions there is no terminal function at these customers and none of them are considered home terminals .

It is actually an advantage if your home terminal is not close to your home . You won't be required to park your truck at the terminal when you go on hometime . One of the company drivers on here can tell you the miles restriction .

fjrgerry Thanks this.
  6. fjrgerry

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Thanks A21CAV. All this "trucking terminology" is new to me so any definitions offered are greatly appreciated! I'm planning on attending CDL school in February and am reading the PA CDL manual and taking notes, as well as using this sites' practice tests - I want to start school prepared since this a new industry to me.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    If you are going home close to KOP it could work to your advantage in many ways.

You already know there is a place with a lot of Swift traffic.
    Not being too close to your home terminal means that they won't tell you to clean out your truck if you need an extra day off, as A21CAV mentioned.
    If it is an approved Swift drop location, and secure, you could probably even drop a loaded trailer there to get home during a load - if you had time.

As to the second point... I am based out of Otay Mesa, CA.
    My home times are split between Denver and around Inver Grove Heights, MN.
    Terminals at each place, but I've never been given grief if I want an extra day.

And being there would also, almost assuredly, mean that you would have a load out when you came back from home time.

fjrgerry Thanks this.
  8. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hey, I have an FJR!

Are you on ADV?

9. fjrgerry

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I HAD a 2004 Yamaha FJR1300 and LOVED it, but had to sell it a few years ago. Still miss it. :-(

10. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have an 06. Last year before they started stretching the wheel base.

It's Yamaha blue, and fits right in on track days!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.