Swift maybe my way out of here

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rookie1012, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Rookie1012

Rookie1012 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Good evening,
    My name is Melodie and I am 25. I work a lot of hours at my current job as an EMT in Oklahoma. I work for one of the top five busiest ambulance services in the country. I am in a hybrid paramedic program through my job and between you and I, I am absolutely disliking it. It is simply not for me. I grew up in a very small town in Oklahoma and moved to "the city" aka Oklahoma City about 4 years ago. I'm not married but I am in a relationship. I don't have any kids and I believe that it is now or never on a career and lifestyle change. That is why I am here today.
    I have looked into trucking before and honestly I believe that this is the right road for me and that I should be basically living over the road. I don't have anything holding me back from going except my relationship. My parents support me in this decision and my siblings are in the age group that it won't really affect them at all.
    I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos about trucking and Swift is my number one pick right now. I will be picking a company with a company paid driving academy, as money is tight right now. The reason I am leaning towards Swift is for a few reasons: 1. They have a lot of freight. 2. I will be attending a company paid academy. 3. Even though I have read and watched videos with negative things about Swift, I have read and watched videos with positive things about Swift. (A lot of the negative comments and statements that I have been reading, I believe has to do with the driver's attitude as much as it does the company's attitude.) You only get out what you put in. 4. The miles are there if you are willing to put in the work. 5. There is a terminal in Oklahoma City, not a very big one at all but it is a terminal. 6. The equipment isn't terrible for a new driver.
    I believe the reason I am typing this post is to try to get some feedback from current drivers about what to expect as far as the company driving academy goes, the difference in miles during the winter (since I am going to be starting in the winter), knowledge to know before going to the academy, and what to expect throughout the first year or so.
    So my thoughts about my game plan are the following:
    I would get through the academy and the mentor phase of the training. I would get a load under my belt and then move into my truck. I want to spend my first year to three years basically in my truck. I want little home-time and I want to just run. I want to live out of my truck and save as much money as possible. With that being said, does Swift allow you to bring a rider with you? If so, how long do I need to be on the road on my own before they will allow a rider to be with me? Our lease is ending soon and I was just going to my significant other just ride with me if it was allowed. Your thoughts on that as well would be nice.

I know I am asking a lot of questions and stating a lot of stuff but I just needed somewhere to write out all of my thoughts and to receive some feedback as to how crazy my dream is.

Thank you in advance,
    Rookie1012

TheJrodTest Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Let me stop you right there. Any positive reviews/videos you find on Swift were created by recruiters. 2nd, their equipment sucks. You can do better.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You could do much worse then Swift. For the most part trucking is what you make of it, regardless of where you are. A terminal near home is always a big plus.

John Dewart, IAM KING, rachi and 2 others Thank this.
  5. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Been seeing alot of swifties here in Idaho at standlee hay. Been meaning to stop and see where the runs to, but the '76 Mack only acts good if the Cummins is killing the ozone, hammer down.

truckon and HorseShoe Thank this.
  6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    If your rider is going to be your Significant Other, why doesn't he/she attend training with you and become a Driver.

Swift is just like any other company out there. Every company has a system that you will need to learn and adapt to if you want to keep moving. Learn and absorb as much information as you can and stay under the radar and you'll be fine.

All new Company Swift trucks are all being ordered with Automatic Transmissions, Adaptive Cruise Control, Critical Event Recorders and Cab and Road Facing Cameras to record any Critical Event.

Whatever Company you choose, you will need to pay your dues. Trucking is a lifestyle, not a job.

Authorized Riders are allowed after you are Solo, but no pets or smoking allowed on Company Trucks.

If you plan on taking more than three days off, you will need to clean your truck out, as it will be reassigned to another driver. You will be assigned a different truck when you return.

You will be terminated instantly for any Rollover, Rear End Collisions and excessive At-Fault Accidents.

If you can't handle being by yourself and need to be home daily, weekly, OTR isn't for you.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Rookie1012

Rookie1012 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2015
    What is your opinion on a good company that offers company paid training? And thank you for your honest post. It is exactly what I am looking for from this post I made.

8. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    @Rookie1012 Judging you by your post you seem like an intelligent person. You can do much better then Swift.

Friday, truckon, dog-c and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    dude it's Swift...
    no.. just no.

Driver cameras too :biggrin_25513:

Friday, dog-c and HorseShoe Thank this.
  10. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    check into millis, you will need 500 bucks up front. but its better. watch steven neil on you tube older videos, he just went o/o. and as I always say ask Chinatown for info.

11. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Prime...

They pay better and no cameras.

Friday and HorseShoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.