Swift - New Pay Scale complete details

Discussion in 'Swift' started by richsoucie, Sep 18, 2014.

1. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Just the ones with drivers

SHOJim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    No .....

4. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Wow how witty of you! I asked because some carriers like Rohl only install cameras if the driver has a history of unsafe driving or after x amount of incidents.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    They are in most of the company trucks now. Still not in the O/O or L/O trucks.

6. Idaho noob

Idaho noob Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2015
    They will never be in o/o or l/p trucks its one of the perks lol.

Camera is not an issue in my current truck. 2015 cascadia dumb truck not the new smart trucks.

My camera almost never records. It has recorded 5 times in 7months since I got it installed. Camera is a non issue.

Now if you get into a new cascadia the camera is a nightmare. The smart truck has lane assist and braking assist etc right. Everytime the truck beeps for bein close to white line the camera records. If the braking assist comes on it records. Sometimes the jakw brake sets it ooff on smart truck.you ask how do I know?

Good friend has the 2016 smart truck and we talk every couple days and his camera goes off for every little thing the truck has. Do yourself a favor and get into a 14 or 15 model and you won't have to worry about it.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You need to get the terms right.

The camera is ALWAYS recording.
    What you refer to recording is actually saving a file to a separate folder, to be uploaded as soon as feasible.
    But the camera is always recording files into storage. The amount of storage determines how many minutes or hours of video are actually available at any given moment.

At any given time, someone with the right access can view those files and see the past half hour or more of stored video.

We have already been told that these cameras have 8GB of 'memory'. That memory is a flash memory and is always there. The video is recorded in a loop, first in first out. But 8GB of storage is enough for at least 2 hours of high quality video.
    The camera I had could store over 10 hours of video with a 64GB card, with half of that dedicated to the protected folder.

Swift like to stress that there is no way for them (or the monitoring company) to view the video in real time, and this is true.
    But they CAN view it in near real time.
    They can connect with any camera at any time via WiFi and download any file they wish.

But the definition of 'real time' is where it all falls apart.
    There is no 'real time' with this sort of thing.
    Even if the camera was streaming a live feed it would not be seen in 'real time'.

Heck, we don't even see in real time.
    It takes a small amount of time for the light that just bounced off an object to reach our eyes.
    Even more time is needed for that input to be sent to our brain and recognized.
    And even more time is needed to transmit via phone or satellite signal.
    We might begin to perceive something within micro- or milliseconds, but we do not perceive anything in real time.
    Even with a live feed to the video it would take several seconds before they saw it.

Subutai and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  8. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    You friend must drive like an idiot. I am on a dedicated route where I drive nearly 500 miles everyday. I had a 2016 Cascadia for just over a year and am now in a 2017 for just over a month. My camera has captured maybe at the most a dozen events.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    inkeeper, you know I'll put more stock in you than him. But in fairness, aren't you running a day cab shuttle on I20 or I30 in Texas. For the most part that it is fairly decent road

10. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    I don't know about the trucks with lane assists,,,, but I've been in a 16 Cascadia, now in a 16 Kenworth both company. And it takes alot to set that camera off. I mean the kinda pothole that makes the inside of the cab look like a star trek space battle. The kind that makes it feel like your riding a bull.

As for the brake assist, only if it shotguns the brake which happened like twice, once when the in cruise going under a bridge nothing in front. The other when someone slammed thier brakes and made a hard right.

It's easy to keep it from slamming then anyway, just drop cruise when you get around heavy traffic (should anyway) and stage the throttle the same way that keeps the Jake's off but no fuel.

I set it off myself cause I had an accident happen in front of me and had to slow down real quick (maybe a bit to quick and figure out which way to go)

Though my students have set it off a few times, and each time it had to be legit hard braking. The last one set it off first time bobtail, came up to a stale light, brought it to a dead panic stop. To be fair he had only ever been loaded before and at 70+.

Point is I agree with inkeper on this one.

Adieu and inkeper Thank this.
  11. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    For the most part yes, however there is lots of road work going on, and always a lot of traffic to interfere with the braking system and front mounter radar. The fact that I am in a day cab is moot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.