T680 Antenna setup help

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by catalinaflyer, Apr 23, 2015.

1. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Yes I know that. But I slip seat and only drive 2 - 3 days at a time, so I have to go with what is there or can be fixed fairly quickly and easily. So I experiment, cause it's fun, to find the best possible solution, even though that may not be ideal. The stock set up is under 3:1 barely. Adding the longer antenna brought it down to a decent reading so I'm not afraid to run my radio on it. The 3:1 reading was on the lower channels, not the CB band, but it is pretty obvious the RF ground ain't what it ought it to be.

Xcis- If it were me - personally - I would run just one antenna on the drivers door. I would then skip the original coax entirely and run my own short length of 50 ohm coax. All I need is a couple of feet of coax. Since I absolutely hate with a passion running coax, I would run it through the driver's window and up to the radio. That may look like hell but I do not care. Hey, it is a temporary setup for now.

With the mirror arms like they are now days, throwing a vice grip mounted antenna on the mirror is not an option. A quick set-up is not easy anymore. I've figured out the Cascadia and can "fix it" pretty quick. But, now we are buying the KW! New challenge for sure!

Xcis - I would also install another antenna mount and antenna with the antenna pointing toward the ground. That should fix the antenna ground plane problem. It also drives the other drivers crazy because they think that antenna is going to fall off the truck.[/quote]

I'm familiar with a counter poise and have tried that before as well. The biggest issue right now is figuring out how to quickly mount up an antenna on the T680 and by pass the factory set up. I don't have a solution as of yet.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Wonder what effect leaving the factory coax attached to that stud will have? Slip seating like I do, just removing the factory antenna and installing a dipole set up would be cinch! Do you mean dipole or counter poise??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.