T680 CEL lights on, keep running?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by 59EX, Sep 20, 2016.

1. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    So I got these two on this morning. My shop says I need to bring it in. But for future reference could I keep running with these on for a week or two before getting to the shop or will it derate.

Just trying to get a sense of these lights are truly the indication of a real immidiate issue or just idiot lights for emissions stuff.

TIA.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Depends on the severity of the issue causing them. Likely will not derate. Just something you should get checked as soon as possible because there is a possibility it could lead to larger problems if not dealt with.

59EX Thanks this.
  4. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    What does it say on the diagnostic display?

5. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    If it is derated, it may tell you when you go through the diagnostic area of the in dash display. It will say something like "Derate". Then again, it may not and be only visible to a connected computer.

But driving it will tell you as well. Low power, pretty sluggish.

Yellow check engine lights aren't too much to get excited over. It's just a "Something needs checking" indicator. If you get ones that are red, then you have a real problem. They will literally shut you down.

59EX Thanks this.
  6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    If it's emissions related yellow can go to red reeaall quick. Or it could blink yellow for a month. It's a crap shoot.
    In my experience a wrench light usually came with a derate and was a 'final warning'.
    But unless you enjoy riding shotgun in a tow truck best check it out.

59EX Thanks this.
  7. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Thanks, appreciate the quick responses. The truck is in the shop now.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  8. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Nothing. The truck did derate though. I was empty and was having issues with pulling hills.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  9. JKrabs

JKrabs Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Just for future reference, The one with a wrench is a check engine light. The one without a wrench is the malfunction indicator lamp. The MIL indicates an emissions-related fault code (EPA requires certain failures of parts to illuminate an MIL). The CEL is everything else. It's rare on modern tractors that you'll have one light without the other.

Also, no one can tell you if the truck will derate based on which light is on. Some fault codes derate after 15 miles from first MIL illumination, some fault codes cause a derate 250 miles after the MIL illuminates.

59EX Thanks this.
  10. andagon329

andagon329 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Mine came on with a MIL only and it does that for a day or two and then goes away never derrates or acts up. I took it in to a shop and they said it was a oil temperature sensor went bad. The gauge for the front differential oil temp doesn't work so I think that might be it but why would it came up with a MIL light. Its a mistery to me. Any thoughts ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.