TA Truckstop in Jessup MD

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by HardlyWorkingNeverHome, Mar 28, 2008.

1. OSA

OSA Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Indiana
    I had a few sites I use to hit when they had those Truck Check Oil Analyzers but the staff acted like it took away from their smoke breaks to run a sample for you. And it was like pulling teath to get them to run one even if you offered to pay for it. So it goes hand in hand...... Now they have them turned off so I just have my samples run at Speedco or I recently found Ambest will do it with the PM for free and post them online for you.... which I thought was really nice About time we got somthing extra.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MilkMan

MilkMan Bullshipper

Aug 18, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH

The Pilot a few exits down? You mean the one in Ruther Glen at the VA 104 exit? I opted for the Hook down there instead of the Pilot when I couldn't get in. Worst friggin' Flyin' Hook I seen yet. The Pilot looked okay, but they got a real small number of parking spaces.

About the Jessup TA: I just delivered to a Giant Foods DC right across from the TA in Jessup. I can tell ya first hand, I ain't ever stoppin' in there. You know it's bad when even the lumpers are talking about it. The Parking Lot was full and the folks on the radio were talkin about the lizards..... None for me thanks.

4. SouthsideTRKman

SouthsideTRKman Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
    MilkMan, the Hook at Exit 104 isn't bad at all, the Pilot there is another story and the Petro is even worse......The Hook and the Mr. Fuel are probably your best bet there. I used to work for the Va. DOT and we used to stop there and eat on our routes (I worked for the Roads Department not the "DOT" in the trucking sense.) I stay at that Flying J alot when I come off home time cause I am usually deadheaded down that way to pick up a load and never had a single issue there.....but, I guess everyone has a different experience, I mean it's not Sullivan Mo. or North Platte Nebraska, but it ain't the worst Flying J either (I think Lake Sta. Indiana or Effingham Illinois has my vote LOL)

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not to nitpick, but the one on 301 is in Newburg. Bel Alton is about 10 miles north, just before La Plata.

6. HFC

HFC Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2007
    They have a branch of the Knights Inn hotel chain there, go to the Trip Advisor website and you can see what some of the guests have said about their stay there.

About a year ago, a boy was molested in bathroom. The footage of the guy leaving the truck stop was shown on the local Baltimore channels, 2, 11 and 13. Who was the boy, was he a hotel guest? A driver's son? A motorist's son? I don't know. Who was the prep? A driver? A motorist? A hotel guest? I don't know.

I have been walking down the hallway when the state troopers arrive and rush past me, where they are going, I don't know. Then I see that they ended up at the drivers theatre to arrest someone. I saw them slapping the handcuffs on him. For what, I don't know. After that incident the drivers theatre was closed for about two months. There was a sign placed on the door after it re opened that said DRIVERS ONLY.

The truck stop is in somewhat of a strange neighborhood. Right across the street is one of two maximum security prison in the state but to the west is Columbia, Maryland and to the east like someone said is Fort Meade, Maryland. To the northeast is Arundel Mills Mall, a upscale shopping area and also Baltimore-Washington-Thurgood Marshall International Airport.

I have been accosted by homeless people and LL's there. You just have to act agressive and they back off.

The good things, the wait staff (for the most part), their BBQ ribs, the laundry room (got way better recently) and the store staff (for the most part).

I would suggest that the Corporate office of Travel Centers of America needs to be shown where the bad parts of this truck stop are and work with them to fix the situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  7. MilkMan

MilkMan Bullshipper

Aug 18, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH

Maybe that Hook isn't the worst one, but instead of painting the walls in the Drivers side of the house, maybe they could spend less money and clean the urinals first. After you get past that, I'll have to give to them with the food. Yeah, I gambled on the food even after the trip to the john. You can tell the restaurant and the drivers "facilities" are managed by two different folks.

8. LONEWOLF65

LONEWOLF65 Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2008
    louisville ga
    oh man,i can remember back in the 80's when the lizards used to fight each other to see who would be working the lot that night.it's always been a cess pool or better yet a slam full toilet that cant be flushed 'cause of the overflow of crap.you never got any sleep there for the constant banging on your doors during the night. The parking lot was full of pot holes so bad if u hit one u could about kiss ur axle good bye or at least knock u out of alignment.hell u'd be better off being shut down in banning ca at the scales.at least there the lizards wear uniforms. It wouldnt hurt t/a inc if they shut that toilet down,like they did the t/a in atalnta ga.

9. FullTruckerEffect

FullTruckerEffect Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Thrillwaukee, WI
    I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Pilot at the 4 on I-465 around Indy. That is a lizard haven..

TexasMike Thanks this.
  10. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    That Pilot in Indy is just plain gross. I was forced to stop there today to transflow and I felt like carrying my tire thumper around with me just to get back and forth from the truck.

FullTruckerEffect Thanks this.
  11. FullTruckerEffect

FullTruckerEffect Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Thrillwaukee, WI
    Good, I am not going crazy then. I am not the only one who thinks that place is horrible...

It's been bad as long as I can remember. I think it used to be called Bud's Truck Stop way back when.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.