Taking over truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bumfites, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Bumfites

Bumfites Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2015
    A family member is offering me his truck to drive;he will split everything the truck make with me 30/70,30 per cent of the gross to me,I'm concerned about getting loads and rates right now for loads,any advice?thanks ahead of time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Who will be looking for and booking the loads?

TripleSix Thanks this.
  4. Robert85006

Robert85006 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Southwest USA
    Ask yourself the risk involved? If your family member is assuming all the risk and you are merely driving and collecting 30 % then who knows. Too limited information to provide any advice.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  5. Bumfites

Bumfites Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Me after my father in law shows me how he does it.

special-k Thanks this.
  6. Bumfites

Bumfites Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Yes he's paying the costs,I'm basically just driving the truck,but I will be booking the loads.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    um, maybe I'm missing something or don't quite understand, but at 30%, you'd almost be better off being a company driver.....at least you'd have insurance. Man, the rates right now are just to slim to be trying this out. And if you've never booked freight before, you've got a steep hill to climb. Good luck........

TequilaSunrise and Bumfites Thank this.
  8. Voorhees84

Voorhees84 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    At 30% you're only looking at 1000- 1200 a week . You may enjoy picking your own loads but like it's been said it's a learning curve . I'd try to negotiate, hell it'll give you some practice for dealing with the brokers .

Bumfites Thanks this.
  9. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    It depends. 30% is about normal. I wouldn't quit a job to go do this. If you're out of work now you don't have a lot to lose by trying. Are you experienced at all? Does your father in law have any good work be does on a regular basis?

10. Bumfites

Bumfites Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Well,I would be quitting a co.driver job,but this would afford me more home time,the money will probably be the same as I make now,I'm gonna give it a try,I just was just wondering what the consensus here would be.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Good luck then. Hopefully you have some support behind you help you through the rough times. There's always some of them on a deal like this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.