Taxes, taxes, taxes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Metalicious, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I'm starting out as a sole proprietor, and don't want to end up owing a crap ton of money. I know fuel, truck notes, insurance and all are tax deductible. But is there any software or anything I can get to use to figure how much I need to hold out of every settlement to send in quarterly to the IRS so I'm not owing a huge bill come the end of the year?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    I've got three dependents including myself if that helps or matters.

whitewings Thanks this.
  4. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    As a sole proprietor you will be responsible for income taxes (15% fit the first $74,500 income) & the 15.3 % FICA taxes. There is payroll calculator software out there. This is something you should talk to your accountant about is what I would recommend.

5. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    If I were to go LLC, I would then have to pay taxes from my LLC, then income tax withholding from my own check I would draw as well, right? I know I'm responsible for income taxes, that's why I asked how much I should hold on to. I don't have an accountant to talk to....yet.

6. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    The LLC depends on how you elect it to be taxed. I'm having mine taxed as a corp. Done people don't do that because they are worried about "double taxation" which is you paying personal taxes & the LLC paying taxes also. Then when you distribute funds in the form of dividends to yourself that the LLC had already paid taxes on your taxed again. I know it's confusing. I've been researching this fit a month. Do a Google search for LLC as a S corp vs C corp. You would probably be better off as an LLC taxed as a S corp.

I would start by holding 30-35 % until you are sure.

7. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    Well thank you sir. I appreciate it. I don't have a problem with holding that out. Kind of like emergency slush fund also, if I end up needing it.

RStewart Thanks this.
  8. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    You're very welcome. There's lots of info about the best way to set up your business. Like I said, I poured over it for a month & a half, reading some articles multiple times. Also, make sure your accountant is a trucking accountant.

9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Make sure you pay yourself a salary and take taxes out of that
    I've been in business for 20 years the first year I did not pay myself a salary and got hit big-time
    Since then I pay myself a salary and take taxes out of that and that helps a lot

10. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    He said he is setup as a sole proprietor so a salary does not apply. Salaries are something you pay yourself with when incorporated, as a sole proprietor the business and personal income are one in the same to the IRS.

While he might want to designate some of his income as a salary for his own personal breakdown of costs, to the IRS it would be meaningless.

Metalicious Thanks this.
  11. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    Oh yeah for sure. I filed 1099 once with a relative tax preperarer and got hosed. Turned out she knew nothing about tax deductions for truck drivers. Lesson learned the hard way. Five years later still paying that tax bill.

RStewart Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.