Team owner operator tax question.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by americantrucker42, May 6, 2016.

1. americantrucker42

americantrucker42 Bobtail Member

May 6, 2016
    Hello everyone. My buddy and i are wanting to buy our own truck and lease onto a small company. We were gonna split everything 50/50. My question is, how do we set it up so we both get the tax benefits of owning a truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Without having a lot of information the easy answer is you want to form a Sub-Chapter S Corporation and split the shares 50/50

4. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    The easiest way is for one person to own the company, and the other one work for them. Otherwise you end up with two captains on a ship......

americantrucker42 Thanks this.
  5. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Man that's a good question. Who's name is on the truck would be able to deprecate . Let us no when you figure this out

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The easiest method is to come up with a name that both of you like and make it an Partnership. It takes legal papers to show the name and percent of ownership. The partnership buys the asset for the business. It gets the income and expense during the year. You can draw a salary during the year and then split profit end of year.

This can be achieved by forming an LLC with both names as well and choosing to be a partnership.

You can do an LLC and make it a C corporation and do the same. The C Corporation can pay a salary and give benefits to the officers.

You can do the LLC and be an S Corporation. Take a salary and then share profits. Benefits to shareholders are limited.

All require a set of books. The corporations require more documentation and annual minutes.

7. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    Get married and file a joint return,
    Sorry I couldn't resist. :cool:

insertnamehere Thanks this.
  8. upallnite

upallnite Light Load Member

May 15, 2010
    Hempstead,TX
    A good accountant and an attorney. follow their advice. you and your friend will still be friends at the end of the day.

9. americantrucker42

americantrucker42 Bobtail Member

May 6, 2016
    Ok. I'm gonna get the truck and pay all the bills. How much should i pay him? And how do i 1099 him? Me or the company we're going to lease too? Thanks for the help so far!

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Pay each of you a base salary and then give him 40% profit share, or whatever you agree on. You should get a bit more to compensate for the risk you're taking.

You will get paid from the company you are leased to, you (your LLC) will pay him. I would definitely stay away from 1099. Just run it through a payroll service.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.