Teen Truckers

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Luke628, Jul 20, 2015.

1. PO Stoner

PO Stoner Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2015
    I'm good with it if they complete an accredited trucker school. I'd rather a 19 year old American be behind the wheel than someone whose immigration status is questionable too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    nope not forgetting that when not crossing Stateline keeps them somewhat local and for the most part in an area that they already know. Cuts down on their stress levels and allows carrier's and other drivers to keep an eye on them. As I said those are the ones that do as needed and will most likely succeed. But open it up and you won't be getting the ones that do it because they enjoy the job.

4. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    LETS not forget about all the "CONTRACTS" the kids will sign and be threatened to never work in the truckin industry again if they don't work for 30 cpm for the next 2 years.... (eye roll)....

5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I know a bunch of kids in that age range that are better equipped to handle the stress of driving OTR than a lot of 30-40 year olds out there now.

This industry thrives on service and results. If it turns out that this is a bad idea because of accidents and such then the industry will either change or the customer will change carriers. This could be a boon for small fleets and owner operators. Does not matter if it costs a dollar less per mile to ship on a mega carrier if it does not get to the customer in one piece.

All this crap about having to protect people from themselves and others on every little possibility or eventuality is a bunch of BS. People die and people get killed, that is life. The Lord takes them when it is time.

6. georgeandson

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    aint that the truth.
    lol
    nothing like watching a 350lb'er million mile'r walk across the lot with a limp in flip flops and a tank top with hair flowing in the wind... only to come out the store with 4 bags of "groceries'.... soda by the case , smokes by the carton, Gatorade, candy bars and of course the customary hotdog with everything on it. HAHAHA and lets not forget he probably had a sleep apnea tanks and breather in the back of his sleeper buried under 5 years of sht.
    I wanted to take pics but didn't wanna be rude.

Your right.... a lot of young guys can do a better job then guys like that.
    They can climb in the truck for starters, reflexes are much better, they probably stay alert a lot longer, their general health is probably much better which all translate into better focus and care when driving.....

wall_404 Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I was talking about mentally.... :confused:

8. georgeandson

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    that too lol

After 3 marriages, 4 kids from different mommas, 4 child support payments, several urinary infections and hemorrhoids cases later....I'm sure a young fresh driver can deal with dispatch much better lol

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I started driving when I was 18. actually I drove before that but 18 made it legal. but that was many, many years ago also. just need to train the young'uns with quality training and pay them with an acceptable pay and I don't see a problem.

gentleroger and tsavory Thank this.
  10. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    I am going to let it go as I am on the fence here myself and would be all for it with some real training.
    Just don't think with training standards as they are it's wise. I learned a lot from mistakes and those mistakes in a big rig probably would have ended way different.

Wild Murphy and Superhauler Thank this.
  11. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Ha! I just got a mental imiage of a droped kw, with ground effects lighting, a cherry bomb crackler muffler, tinted windows, and absurd crap written on the back...... wait a min?! Super truckers are born not made!

tsavory Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.