Texas: truck allegedly slams into broken down suv / good samaritans at night

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by One_tooth_wonder, May 11, 2015.

1. One_tooth_wonder

One_tooth_wonder Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Cleveland, TX
    Link has pics

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/crash-closes-us-59-for-hours/

Just before 10am Cleveland Police Department started receiving multiple 911 calls for a crash on US 59. Callers stated one car was close to falling into the San Jacinto River. Others said an 18-wheeler had driven over the top of a Ford F-150 pickup. Cleveland, Splendora and New Caney Fire units soon arrived on the scene and immediately called for Life Flight and PHI Air Medical.

A Chevrolet Trailblazer was teetering on the 8-inch wide bridge railing with most of it over the river 30-feet below. Inside were five occupants. The first Cleveland brush truck arrived on the scene and using a winch secured the SUV. An additional line was tied off to the ladder truck to secure it. Approximately 150 feet south they found a Ford F-150 with three occupants that had been ripped open almost completely. Two passengers were in very critical condition. One was flown by PHI Air Medical and a second by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann in Houston. The driver of the Ford was uninjured. All five of the occupants in the Trailblazer were transported to the hospital in stable condition. One the south end of the bridge was a Freightliner which witnesses said ran over the Ford and then after the vehicles ping ponged off the bridge railings, the Trailblazer rolled to the left, hit the bridge edge and almost went over as it righted.

The driver of the truck suffered minor injuries. The truck suffered major front end damage and ruptured fuel tanks.

In addition tot he injuries was a good Samaritan who stopped to help. He slipped in the diesel fuel and broke his ankle.

Cleveland Police are investigating the crash. Initial investigation showed that the Trailblazer had broken down in the moving lane of traffic. The Ford F-150 stopped to help and did not have flashers on. It is not known yet if the Ford was about to push the Trailblazer when the 18-wheeler came up behind and slammed into the Ford F-150.

Masters Haz –Mat was tasked with cleaning the roadway of oil and fuel. Smith Towing of Cleveland was able to lift the SUV off the railing using a heavy duty wrecker. The 18-wheeler was then loaded.

Police have not yet identified the victims as they were about to make hospital contact with the victims after the road reopened.

DPS and the Liberty County District Attorneys Office are assisting in the investigation.

VIDEO TO BE POSTED SOON

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Prayers for all those involved.

4. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    The DOT can write us for not putting out triangles, but I've seen too many 4 wheelers break down and they don't turn on their warning flashers, they just sit there, ,maybe they need to start getting ticketed for this.

Criminey Jade Thanks this.
  5. lee2442

lee2442 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    there
    hazards don't mean squat anymore. just last week i went to go tow my sisters blazer home after it died while she was on the interstate. she pulled almost into the grass like ive always told her, she had hazards on, all the dome lights were on and people still refused to move over. its a different story when there is a vehicle next to you keeping you from moving over. even when i had all the strobe lights on in my pickup, hazards and my brother waving a flashlight towards traffic people still flew by at 75 plus. trucks included. seen a few company trucks that i thought hired safe and friendly drivers but they #### near took my door off. this accident by the way it sounds was a combo of things going wrong, car breaks down, someone stops to help but doesn't have any lights on or didn't move over enough and semi didnt have time to do much...

6. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I've seen battery powered red and blue strobes you can put out that fool the bad drivers there's a cop ahead and they get over. Seems like the threat of a ticket gets them over more than the possibility of killing someone changing a tire on the shoulder.

7. One_tooth_wonder

One_tooth_wonder Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Cleveland, TX
    Update-

It's now a fatal. Passenger of the F150 succumbed to his injuries.

8. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Yeah you just don't realize how few cars and trucks move over ,, until you're stuck out there.

I popped a super single , was helping the road tech by shining a light toward oncoming cars/trucks and keeping an eye out

He finally got PO'd and literally threw a super single rim in the right lane, worked like a charm !

lee2442 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.