Thanks!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Floppy, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Floppy

Floppy Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Tacoma Washington
    Was curious about becoming a trucker, so I did some research and found this place, read a lot of what you had to say, and decided to make the dramatic change in my life and go to school then start driving.

First few days at school, I couldn't help but have some doubts in my mind about what I was doing, was I being impulsive?

After my first week in school, am feeling much better about my decision, school I am in has a 98% placement rate, and we have been bombarded with recruiters. Living in the Pacific Northwest, am going to try and get a dedicated run on I-5 from Seattle area to anywhere down south.

Thank you all for helping me make the decision, and the owner-operators of this site for having such a great resource and meeting place. And Hi!

Landog and TruckGal13 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Hi Floppy!

Welcome to the wide open road, little brother. Now that you have your training its time to kick the tires and light the fires. Keep her dirty side down. Good luck!

Floppy and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check out Leavitt's Freight Service and Lynden.
    Lynden has a mix of everything you would want.
    KKW Trucking, TWT Refrigerated Services might have what you want.
    Watkins-Shepard has two terminals in WA state.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Floppy Thanks this.
  5. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    A 98% placement rate means nothing when you consider companies will take just about anyone...Industry 110% turnover rate and a "driver shortage"

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I was thinking about the same thing; school should have 100% placement rate.
    Students really don't need placement help; they can find better jobs than what these schools push.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    My guess is that the reason it isn't 100% is due to students lying on applications or failing drug screens. Several years ago I spoke with a guy who headed the driver vocational training program at a local community college. According to him that is the reason most who are not placed cannot find a job.

8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Welcome Floppy!

That 98% number just goes to show that the school will take anyone's money. There are folks that apply that they know can't possibly get a job in this industry. Had a fella at my school that had 2 DUIs in the previous 4 years and had only recently got his license back. If he ever did get a job driving, it was probably for a very small company and making 15 cents a mile.

Floppy Thanks this.
  9. TruckGal13

TruckGal13 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Petoskey, MI
    My sister opted for a 3 week driving school and the owner of the school owns an employment placement company....I enrolled at a college that covers 160 credit hours, minimum 55 hours BTW (one student per 1 trainer). I know many have been successful going the 3 week route, yet feel hopeful I'll be more prepared in the long haul. And I'm not sure how I feel about the owner of her school "owning" a placement company. Any thoughts? Oh and there is very little difference in the tuition thanks to the college taking 3k off the top this session.

10. T_Bone

T_Bone Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Denver, CO
    As she is not obligated to take their placement advice, I see nothing wrong with the school "owning" a placement company. Most schools have a placement department. But she should definitely do her own homework on employers outside of what they offer.

11. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Well good for you, Floppy. However, if you want to run Seattle-LA you will be questioning your sanity in short order. WA, OR, and CA all HATE trucks. Good luck.

horsecrazychic22 and HorseShoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.