the church bus

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by tharealbaer, Jun 28, 2015.

1. tharealbaer

tharealbaer Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Waterford, MI
    I was approached by the pastor at my church this morning asking if I would be interested in getting the "p" endorsement.

I'd like to say yes, but I'm not sure what impact being in on duty status some Sundays (not working per say, but technically on duty) might have on my employment situation

I work for an LTL company making local pickups and deliveries all day long Monday through Friday, and I usually volunteer on Saturdays for the overtime pay. Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated, thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I say you are free to operate the church bus without it interfering with your day job, as long as the church is not compensating you in any way and they are not a motor carrier. If you church operates the bus as a motor carrier then the answer would be no. I came to this conclusion by using the definition of on duty time as found in 395.2 and the guidance to that section the FMCSA provided for volunteer firemen, as it should apply to all volunteer activities that are not motor carrier related.

On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:

(1) All time at a plant, terminal, facility, or other property of a motor carrier or shipper, or on any public property, waiting to be dispatched, unless the driver has been relieved from duty by the motor carrier;

(2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;

(3) All driving time as defined in the term driving time;

(4) All time in or on a commercial motor vehicle, other than:

(i) Time spent resting in or on a parked vehicle, except as otherwise provided in § 397.5 of this subchapter;

(ii) Time spent resting in a sleeper berth; or

(iii) Up to 2 hours riding in the passenger seat of a property-carrying vehicle moving on the highway immediately before or after a period of at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth;

(5) All time loading or unloading a commercial motor vehicle, supervising, or assisting in the loading or unloading, attending a commercial motor vehicle being loaded or unloaded, remaining in readiness to operate the commercial motor vehicle, or in giving or receiving receipts for shipments loaded or unloaded;

(6) All time repairing, obtaining assistance, or remaining in attendance upon a disabled commercial motor vehicle;

(7) All time spent providing a breath sample or urine specimen, including travel time to and from the collection site, to comply with the random, reasonable suspicion, post-crash, or follow-up testing required by part 382 of this subchapter when directed by a motor carrier;

(8) Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of, a motor carrier; and

(9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.
    Question 27: A motor carrier has full-time drivers who are also volunteer fire fighters. Some of the drivers carry pagers and leave their normal activities only when notified of a fire. Others consistently work 3 to 4 non-consecutive 24-hour shifts at a fire station each month, resting between calls. The drivers receive no monetary compensation for their work. How should the time spent on these activities be logged on the record of duty status when the drivers return to work?

Guidance: When drivers are free from obligations to their employers, that time may be recorded as off-duty time. Drivers who are allowed by the motor carrier to leave their normal activities to fight fires and those who spend full days in a fire station are clearly off duty. Their time should be recorded as such.

Bobble and tharealbaer Thank this.
  4. tharealbaer

tharealbaer Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Waterford, MI
  5. Bobble

Bobble Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Let me look and see.
    I also would give the same answer as post #2. Too lazy to go into details though. Well done brian991219! Thanks comin your way.

6. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    If the bus is registered to a church you don't need a CDL to operate it in some states. Church buses are exempt in my state, Indiana, if I'm not mistaken.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.