The driverless truck is coming, and it’s going to automate millions of jobs

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by VTSharpshooter, Apr 26, 2016.

1. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    You stated there are savings that can't be ignored. One of these would be the reduced price of goods to the consumer due to reduced price of transportation.
    I will believe that when I see it. I don't believe for one minute that the rampant greed running through corporate America will allow for a pass down of savings to the consumer.

superflow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mickey the no good Paddy

Mickey the no good Paddy Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Richmond Virginia
    From what I have read in other articles this technology isn't necessarily going to replace Drivers. Sure there will be less of them, but its going to make it a much more white collar job. You would have to have one driver for every train of trucks minimum. Pretrips are still going to have to be done as well as all the other little things drivers do (for free usually) that I can't even begin to list. (Ha ha, can you imagine starting every day with 7 Pretrips to do!) It will make Drivers more productive in that the truck will be able to run while you are on sleeper berth. In short I think it will function very much like how teams function now. You'll supervise the trucks activity, and most of the ones I have seen still have manual controls. There will, until human intelligence is duplicated in machines, always be need for humans to be in these vehicles. Plus remember DOT and the State Police don't want to go out of business. At the end of the day they still need somebody to fine and/or arrest.

Cw5110 Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    ^^^ so when that 1 Swift truck hits the ditch, 6 more go with it? :biggrin_2559:

cnsper Thanks this.
  5. Mickey the no good Paddy

Mickey the no good Paddy Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Richmond Virginia
    Perfect! And if its Covenant that pulls up to my gate, I get to reject all 7 trailers at once and only deal with one angry driver. Seriously Covenant, how do you manage to hire 100% from the pool of people who got fired from Mickey D's?

6. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ya, ya, ya. We've heard that before. Just to let you know this is like the 1000th thread on this topic. Lame.

7. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I don't think we can count on corporate America sharing the blessing... The proof is in the price of a car or any product made off our shores

8. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I can't be the only one enjoying the irony of this thread being posted the same day that another thread links the LA Daily News featuring immigrant workers filling the 'driver shortage' gap.

9. Jermin8r92

Jermin8r92 Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2016
    I say let's watch what happens in Europe the worst thing is yea it hits here in america but other countries will still be behind so u go to that country to do trucking. World wide autonomies vehicles not gonna happen for long long time maybe I'd just do some trucking in Iraq hahaha

10. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    It will take at least 10 years just for all the testing required by the government bureaucracy.

11. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Those Lawyers that specialize in Suing Trucking companies are going to love automated trucks. The Companies that build them, and the Companies that buy and use them will need to hire a small Army of their own lawyers to deal with all the lawsuits from the accidents they are involved in. By the time these things hit the road I'll be long gone from this business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.