The low beam headlights on my truck are only lasting 2 to 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by expedite_it, Jul 5, 2015.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    The low beam headlights on my truck are only lasting 2 to 3 weeks. Someone told me that if a person touches the glass on the low beam headlight bulbs, it will make the bulbs not last for long. However, I am sure that I have not touched the glass on some of the low beam headlights that I've replaced. My truck is a 2014 Freightliner Cascadia. I believe that the problem is strictly a light bulb problem (as opposed to a wiring problem) because when I replace the light bulb, the light works again. However, if the problem was just a light bulb problem, I don't know why the light bulbs would burn out so fast.

The light bulbs that I have been putting in my truck are Grand Central brand H11 55 Watt light bulbs.

Why are the low beam headlights on my truck only lasting 2 to 3 weeks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    We had one truck in the lot that was blowing a low beam headlight once a week and it was rotating between the drivers side and the passenger side. We went through about 7 bulbs. Then as soon as it began it stopped. We haven't had one blow in 6 months. We didn't do anything to the wiring. We didn't find anything wrong with the wiring. In short I can't answer your question and ours solved itself.

4. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    Are you sure it's sealed good and and NO moisture is getting in there?

Condensation on the bulb will make it die prematurely.......same as the oils from your fingers getting on them that is another reason they'll die a quick death.

I noticed on the '13-14 crapcadias I drove if you don't carefully place the gasket before screwing the headlight housing cap back on it can pinch and bunch up in places under the cap causing a bad seal

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Why don't you try another brand like a Sylvania or GE
    Oviously the ones your using aren't any good.
    Put a good brand name bulb in there , I've never even heard of grand central brand lol

6. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    Correction: the brand of the low beam headlight bulbs that i have been buying is Grand General, not Grand Central.

7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Try a Sylvania or GE or Philips bulb
    I'm sure your problem will disappear.

8. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I found that the more expensive brands that "produce more light" don't last worth a rats ### in big rigs. they produce alot more heat and with the extra vibration of these rigs rolking down the hill the filliments snap prematurely. I tried Sylvania Silverstone ultra piaa extreme whites and a crap load more.... I spend probably 1000 of halogen bulbs.

if you want something that lasts

www.theretrofitsource.com and buy a plug and play 4300k hid kit (don't get that stupid blind oncoming traffic blue 6000k kit) your not in a Honda civic and 4300 puts more light on the road.

or you can buy the putco led headlight bulbs from alot of local aftermarket speed shops.

if you don't want either of those try another brand and maybe just a cheap one to see if it'll last longer.

9. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    Sounds like you've got a short somewhere.

10. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    Update: What was causing the light bulbs on my headlights to stop working was that the light bulbs were coming loose from the wire. The clips that held the light bulbs onto the wire wore out. I replaced the clips a few weeks ago and haven't had the problem since then.

mhyn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.